Free antivirus software

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Free antivirus software

Post by AlanMiller »

I'm after recommendations for a free antivirus scanner for someone running XP. We have tried Avast and AVG and she has run into problems with both. MS Security Essentials will not support XP. A resident AV with manual scan would be ideal, especially with auto update of the definitions. Nothing too fancy nor any confusing nags to "update to Pro version" etc. and minimal impact on performance.

thanks
Alan

HansV
Administrator

Re: Free antivirus software

Post by HansV »

Panda Antivirus 2015 Free has a good reputation and it still supports Windows XP. I don't know if it nags the user to upgrade to a paid version.
http://www.pandasecurity.com/australia/ ... antivirus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BitDefender Free Edition gets good reviews too. Same caveat.
http://www.bitdefender.com/toolbox/freeapps/desktop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Some additional free anti-virus options from a trusted online publisher. Some of these should still work on Win XP.
BTW: I came across Kingsoft AntiVirus that claims to still run on Win 98!! It says its free-of-charge but the page also says trial-ware? Also I don't like referring to something I have not used or have no reviews to have you reference... Up to you...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Thanks both Hans + Rudi. All I can do is give them a try after Easter. I'll letcha know how we go.

Alan

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

AlanMiller wrote:I'm after recommendations for a free antivirus scanner for someone running XP.
My XP box has used Avira for many months now. It gives a small nag pop-up on boot but otherwise it is silent and does the job:
http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

Ken

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Thanks Ken. I'll add it to the list.

Alan

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Alan - Having re-read your original post about not wanting nags to update, I've already mentioned that Avira does give such nags. They appear as pop-up above the system tray but only on boot and they don't fill the screen and they are easily dismissed with the X in the top right corner.

Also, there was one instance where an update to the actual application (not the virus defs) resulted in a trial of the full Pro version also being installed. I'm not sure if this was down to my operator error or if Avira did it all by itself. Anyway I corrected it by using Revo to completely wipe Avira and starting again from scratch.

Ken

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Thanks for the verification Ken. You also reminded me to take Revo with me to try to clean the problematic Avast install off this XP installation.

Alan

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

AlanMiller wrote:I'm after recommendations for a free antivirus scanner for someone running XP. We have tried Avast and AVG and she has run into problems with both. MS Security Essentials will not support XP. A resident AV with manual scan would be ideal, especially with auto update of the definitions. Nothing too fancy nor any confusing nags to "update to Pro version" etc. and minimal impact on performance.

thanks
Alan
I have been using Avast for past 5/6 years on my old XP laptop and no issues at all. Having said that, I do have 4gb memory and large hard disk.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Robie wrote:I have been using Avast for past 5/6 years on my old XP laptop and no issues at all. Having said that, I do have 4gb memory and large hard disk.
Funny you should mention that today. I attended to the second of the two "affected" systems this week and there was nothing "wrong" with either of them! Both, it seems, had the trial of AVast (Pro) activated and the trial had ended. Neither user was aware of this. I simply switched back to the free version and all was sweet. Both needed the new updates to the software, but nothing untoward. Oddly, neither would update Anti Malwarebytes until AVast was "restored" either. Such is life... but why do I have to be the one to "experience" it!

Alan

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi....how is it going Murphy Miller :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Rudi wrote:Hi....how is it going Murphy Miller :grin:
Not far off the truth. But I've found a new way to circumvent the law. If I feel I've spent too long looking for something, I go and buy a new one. The old one inevitably turns up immediately, then I return the new one for a refund.

Alan

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

:laugh: :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi,
Just some small feedback based on my experience with XP and free security Software..

. I had Avira on a Notebook ( LG x120 ) of my Wifes, - It did not stop it being killed by Cryptowal 3.1
http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=19352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
. I recently tried Avast... I had the feeling it was slowing down my computers...possibly a good sign that it was doing its job, checking things.
. Anyway it got so slow and kept bugging me to update, so I de - installed...
. De - installing was a nightmare. . After de-installing on one computer, it took ages to restart and i had to fiddle like mad on restart with F8, and had to try various "repair" modes and repairing of hard drive etc. etc.. Eventually I got there with one computer. Another I never managed to get it to start again and had to let it be expensively repaired at a Dealers
. I since googled and learnt that Avast does not let itself de-instal easilly or fully.
. Alan
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Jim Cone
StarLounger

Post by Jim Cone »

Re: Avast

It is a little late to use it now but...
Avast provides an uninstall utility at... https://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'---
Jim Cone
free & commercial excel programs (n/a xl2013)
http://jmp.sh/K95N3ee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Thanks for the info, -I still have Avast on one computer so I will bear it in mind
Alan
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also