You mean there was something BEFORE Windows?

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: You mean there was something BEFORE Windows?

Post by Rudi »

jstevens wrote:MAC resident expert...MAC & Cheese :grin:
:laugh: Agreed...
Whenever I buy a MAC, it never lasts long enough that I need to post questions about it! :burga:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Bob - I'm hardly an expert for MAC (My Son-in-law is my guru) but I enjoy using mine. It is a 2005 iMac model. I may spring for a mini-mac sometime. WSS
I wonder where Bowlie is? I miss his posts!

John (Jstevens) - I like mac and cheese :yum:

Rudi - Isn't MAC O/S based around the Unix kernel? Isn't that the area you've been exploring lately? :grin:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Skitterbug wrote:Rudi - Isn't MAC O/S based around the Unix kernel?
I believe so...
Skitterbug wrote:Isn't that the area you've been exploring lately?
I have.
I dug up an old Acer laptop from my sons cupboard. I must be about 10-15 years old. I installed Linus Mint as a full wipe over the current OS, now it is running Linux Mint Cinnamon v17.1. It installed in 15 minutes and I could use it immediately after without having to do any further individual app installs. The ONLY issue I had was that it didn't connect to my wifi?? I had to stick in the ethernet cable to get internet access!! I played around a bit more but could not get the connection. I plan to reset my router to see if that will help. Anyways...its not a PC that I intend to use. I just wanted to experiment.

As a side note:
I am bound to Windows due to my work (and the laptop I have through work). I would probably remain "faithful" to Windows as it has all my familiar apps, and apps that I have been using for years now. So I don't plan at all to make any hasty switches. However, I am impressed with Linux and all the associated apps it offers. For something that is 100% FREE and so well managed, safe and stable...with so much choices and distros...I am amazed...it's like a whole new world of discovery with a free pass to try anything. I'm certainly going to carry on "dabbling" and experimenting in it, though I probably will not be fully converted.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Rudi wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:Rudi - Isn't MAC O/S based around the Unix kernel?
I believe so...
Skitterbug wrote:Isn't that the area you've been exploring lately?
I have.
I dug up an old Acer laptop from my sons cupboard. I must be about 10-15 years old. I installed Linus Mint as a full wipe over the current OS, now it is running Linux Mint Cinnamon v17.1. It installed in 15 minutes and I could use it immediately after without having to do any further individual app installs. The ONLY issue I had was that it didn't connect to my wifi?? I had to stick in the ethernet cable to get internet access!! I played around a bit more but could not get the connection. I plan to reset my router to see if that will help. Anyways...its not a PC that I intend to use. I just wanted to experiment.

As a side note:
I am bound to Windows due to my work (and the laptop I have through work). I would probably remain "faithful" to Windows as it has all my familiar apps, and apps that I have been using for years now. So I don't plan at all to make any hasty switches. However, I am impressed with Linux and all the associated apps it offers. For something that is 100% FREE and so well managed, safe and stable...with so much choices and distros...I am amazed...it's like a whole new world of discovery with a free pass to try anything. I'm certainly going to carry on "dabbling" and experimenting in it, though I probably will not be fully converted.
I think gaining knowledge of various types of O/Ss would have a usefulness. Never know when this knowledge might come in handy! :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:Those were the days when you got several thick manuals to accompany the (in this case five) operating system diskettes.
So last night I started to play with my latest VHS/DVD dubbing machine.
And guess what?
I was sitting in bed (switching between long-distance and reading spectacles!) reading the 90-page manual that came with the player.

Yup.
I bet everyone who reads this who has
(a) a TV
(b) a DVD player
(c) a VHS player (still)
has a decent (albeit jumps from page-to-page) thick hard-copy book that came with the device.

We still get them for AV stuff, just not for computers.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace