Best FREE Software (Used and Rated by Loungers)

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Best FREE Software (Used and Rated by Loungers)

Post by PaulB »

You'll be happy to hear that the denizens of Toronto did not re-elect a Ford as mayor of Toronto in last month's municipal elections. As for Chris G, well...
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

280 miles is pretty accurate given the size of earth.
Besides, Claude says the software is in beta... Give it a little leeway guys :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Rudi wrote:280 miles is pretty accurate given the size of earth.
Besides, Claude says the software is in beta... Give it a little leeway guys :laugh:
I don't know if this translates to other countries, but in the US we have a saying that a thing is . . . "close enough for government work."

But so as not to impugn anyone's integrity, we have another . . . "close enough for horseshoes or hand grenades" (the latter being added during WWII I think).

More recently it has become . . . "close enough for horseshoes, hand grenades or hydrogen bombs."

Even so, I don't think any of those descriptions would apply to 280 Km.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Here locates me in Ezamokuhle, southeast of Johannesburg in South Africa...
Best wishes,
Hans

NotQuite
3StarLounger

Post by NotQuite »

viking33 wrote:
PaulB wrote:
BobH wrote:So, this app must somehow know my approximate location from my IP address, no? When I clicked the "here" URL, the map that came up was of Waco, TX - about 45 miles from where I sit.

Did everyone experience a similar response?
When I opened the link, the map was centered on Toronto. Now, while everyone knows that Toronto is the center of the known universe, I live over 280 miles away.
Toronto is also where Chris G lives and the city with the infamous Mayor. 280 miles is a good distance of separation, I think? :evilgrin:
Not far enough me thinks. Even though the 'Infamous Mayor' is out of office and his brother failed to accede to the position !!!
Regards: NotQuite

Not So Damp in Lotus Land

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:Here locates me in Ezamokuhle, southeast of Johannesburg in South Africa...
Goodness... (that's half way across the world)! Now that must be a glitch in the app.
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Protect your computer by monitoring your network...

GlassWire displays your network activity on an easy to understand graph while searching for unusual Internet behavior that could indicate malware or violations of your privacy. Once unusual network activity is discovered you're instantly alerted with detailed information so you can protect your computer, privacy, and data.

-- New connection? Get notified
-- What happened while you were away?
-- Remote Server Monitoring
-- Internet & Bandwidth Usage Monitoring
-- Incognito mode for privacy
Regards,
Rudi

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Rudi wrote:Protect your computer by monitoring your network...

GlassWire...
What are your experiences of using it?
Leif

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Its a bit early to say...sorry.

I downloaded it earlier in the week, but I have not had chance to seriously put it into action since I was away from my home PC on a trip.
I can provide some more detailed input after this weekend when I can better evaluate it.

In hindsight, I could have held back on this post due to not testing it properly yet...

Will post back in two or so days.
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Leif wrote:
Rudi wrote:Protect your computer by monitoring your network...

GlassWire...
What are your experiences of using it?
Hi Leif...
My feedback as promised.

-- The interface is very clean and user-friendly.
-- The app runs smoothly and provides the information accurately as advertised.
-- I think each person will find different aspects of the program useful depending on if you are hosting a site or just interested in mapping your PC performance or if you are serious about internet usage or privacy. This app provides a good packaged repository of info.
-- Sites that provide downloads to the app all have decent ratings for the app, and user ratings are very good too. I too have a decent rating for it IF you have purpose for the app.
-- Be aware that it is continually running in the background and does use a healthy chunk of memory (which I think is its only "downside")
Regards,
Rudi

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Thanks!
Leif

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

A brand new photo organising appliocation: Diffractor

A lot of Photos and Videos?
Get organized using Diffractor and Metadata.
The fastest way to add or search - tags, locations and other attributes.
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I've just started using this launcher as I was getting bored with the old one.
Very nice indeed. It has a lot of really nice features and also the ability to view and launch files from your favourite folders on the fly.
If you are needing quick access to common locations or like program/file launchers, this is a really nice one to test out.

Quick Cliq, here.
Regards,
Rudi

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

I never used a launcher so I am curious... how is this different from simply double clicking on an item to open/launch it?
Don

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I'd say it's more a personal choice.

I keep my desktop void of icons as I have background images that cycle through, and I like to see these images without a population of icons covering them up.
Secondly, I am running Win 8.1, so without a start menu (and I dislike the tiles), I like to trigger my apps and common files from a launcher. As a matter of fact, I have been using launchers for years, and always preferred them over the start menu, even in Win 7. I like customizing them and grouping my preferred apps/files using these.

This launcher (Quick Cliq) has options beyond the launchers I have used in the past, in addition to quick access to folders (and files) I use regularly (as seen in the screenshot). This launcher, in combination with Everything (the search app) provides me access to my apps and ANY file within a matter of seconds.

Note:
The image below shows my personal combination of settings; I prefer a basic menu system.
The launcher can display menus and icons in various ways to provide you access you your content.
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

WizMouse enables you to scroll the window under the mouse pointer even if the window does not have focus. This can come very handy when you are working with multiple windows as it eliminates the need to click on the title bar (to activate the window) before you can scroll.
The program can also enable mouse wheel functionality in applications that do not support mouse wheel scrolling.
WizMouse can be enabled or disabled from a system tray icon as needed.

I have been using this app for a long time and it makes it very convenient when over multiple monitors.
Just scroll over the window with your mouse wheel...no need to click to activate the window before you can work in it!
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Convert Video to multiple digital formats with this free (and very impressive) converter. Any Video Converter has recently been upgraded and is a very impressive tool. Besides converting video, it does a host of other functions, incl: Downloading online video from YouTube and other video sources, it acts as a media player, it is a video editor with split and merge capability and adding effects and watermarks to video...

When you download Any Video Converter from the home page, make sure to select the FREE version (unless you prefer to pay for the Ultimate version). The free version is further down the page as illustrated in my screenshot. There is one option (in the installer) to opt for an extra feature (junkware) that you can avoid by choosing Custom Install.
AVC.jpg
If you are interested in another similar tool without the editing options, the well known VLC player can do video conversion and a few other useful features...these are all hidden within its menu system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I could have claimed to have written this list myself!
Out of the 22 apps suggested here, I use at least 17 of them...
Excellent picks for any PC.
Regards,
Rudi

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Rudi wrote:Excellent picks for any PC.
Nice list Rudi. They mention some of their other lists, with some repeated entries, but also worth a look"

20 obscure, yet highly productive programs
killer free software
nine free tools

Alan

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Virtual Router
Virtual Router is a free, open source software based router for PCs running Windows 8, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. Using Virtual Router, users can wirelessly share any internet connection (Wifi, LAN, Cable Modem, Dial-up, Cellular, etc.) with any Wifi device (Laptop, Smart Phone, iPod Touch, iPhone, Android Phone, Zune, Netbook, wireless printer, etc.) These devices connect to Virtual Router just like any other access point, and the connection is completely secured using WPA2 (the most secure wireless encryption.)
Source and download here.
Regards,
Rudi