GooglePlus hijacks GMail addresses?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

GooglePlus hijacks GMail addresses?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Forum?

Before I go completely insane trying to locate the link, I THINK that this is a URL for an MP3 download from The Guardian TechWeekly podcasts set.

http://download.guardian.co.uk/audio/ki ... weekly.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gnl.tech.140114.jp.tech_weekly.mp3

Here are two related URLs from the printed, so to speak, page.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... ame-search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... ailing-you" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I d/l the podcast with Juice, and was listening to it last night.

At the 9m20s mark there starts an interesting conversation of GooglePlus and how it hijacks Gmail accounts.

I gather that if you open a new Gmail account nowadays you are somewhat forced into GooglePlus, and people can send you unsolicited emails (to your Gmail account) without needing to know your Gmail identity.
The heavy integration of Google into my life causes me to wonder if I’d not be better off going back to Yahoo/AOL/VIF etc to get a Plain-Jane email-only account to use for, well, email, only the email, and nothing but the email. I don’t do FaceBook, Twitter (anymore), FacePlant, HousePlant, HouseBook or any other social networking. I no longer post on my numerous Blogger pages.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: GooglePlus hijacks GMail addresses?

Post by Jay Freedman »

Yes, Google tries very hard to be intrusive. At least you can turn this one off, if you know that you need to do it.

Sign in to your Gmail account, click the Home button at the upper left, and click Settings at the bottom of the menu. On the Settings page, scroll down to the Profile section and uncheck this box:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:... scroll down to the Profile section and uncheck this box:
Thanks Jay.
By coincidence I received this email from my off-the-grid buddy this morning:-
"Hi, many thanks for all the info, I'm trying to upload it into brain. I had a request from google etc to register with them, mucho dollars so have not, is this necessary?
Cheers, Hugh"

:flee: :hairout:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:Sign in to your Gmail account, click the Home button at the upper left, ...
Thanks again, Jay.

I tried to do that, but either you and I are in different hemispheres, or the Google home page looks different in Chrome than it does in Firefox.
Here's what I saw, and did (AND A WHOLE LOT OF OTHER USEFUL STUFF BESIDES!)
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

You're right, the bit I copied was from the Google+ settings page, not from the Gmail settings. I suspect they do the same thing.