Restore points - delete all

uncle
3StarLounger

Restore points - delete all

Post by uncle »

Have had trouble getting to Welcome screen. After being in a sign-in loop for several days, I went to System Restore and all the points were Dell Client Management Service points. Don’t even know what that means, didn’t know I had it.. No Microsoft point, nor my custom created point.
I went to Task Manager and saw under Services that the Dell Client etc. is running. I didn’t know I had this. Wasn’t sure if it would be OK to stop it.

What happens if all restore points are deleted. Does Windows create one upon starting? And if Dell appears again, how can I banish it and get back to M’soft and my own restore point. Thank you!

Have a Dell PC (Inspiron, Win 22H2, 64-bit)

HansV
Administrator

Re: Restore points - delete all

Post by HansV »

Dell computers come with Dell's own update utility - it automatically updates Dell's software and drivers, and creates a restore point before doing so.

Whether Windows creates restore points depends on the System Protection settings - press the Windows Key + R, enter or copy/paste

%windir%\System32\SystemPropertiesProtection.exe

and press Enter or click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Thank you, Hans. I do not want Dell's interference. Never before have I seen Dell in the Restore Points window. I want to delete Dell because I think it might be the cause of my sign-in problems.

Can I delete all those restore points, restart and be rid of them but still have a restore point created, i.e. Microsoft? My own???

How do I stop Dell's updating? Thanks

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Select Start > Settings > Apps > Installed Apps.
You'll see several Dell utilities, for example:

S2442.png

You can uninstall the ones you don't want by clicking the three dots ... on the right hand side of each app.
(If you have a wireless Dell keyboard, do not uninstall Dell Peripheral Manager)

You can also delete all Dell restore points, unless you want to use one of them.
In the System Protection tab that I mentioned in my previous reply, you can specify how Windows creates restore points.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans