Windows 11's new File Explorer sucks - but that's not my topic

kdock
5StarLounger

Windows 11's new File Explorer sucks - but that's not my topic

Post by kdock »

But really, it does, doesn't it? It duplicates Downloads and Documents in the navigation pane and until I turned Quick Access (?) off, I had two identical lists of favorites and pins in the Nav Pane. I don't mind different, but it's not intuitive and has forsaken utility for doodads. I can't even enjoy the doodads. I like a good doodad. And if I turn off the Navigation Pane, well, that's not going to happen. It's the only thing about File Explorer that actually assists in file exploration.

Okay, that's not my topic. Really. :grin:

Is there a way to fix this: In Win 10's file explorer, I could right-click on a template and choose "New" to run it, or "Open" to edit it. But I've been suckered a couple of times in that Win 11's Open command also creates a document based on the template. I could edit the code, so I thankfully didn't lose anything on that end, but I just didn't know I wasn't editing the template itself until I went to save in Word rather than the VBE, and Word prompted me to name my document (Surprise! And furthermore, the dialog for that is also ... disappointing). But I digress.

Windows 11's File Explorer shows both New and Open on the dialog, but they seem to do the same thing. I cannot seem to open a template without having F.E. create a new document. I can open it from within Word which doesn't create a new document, so that's what I've been doing. But still, it was so easy to use F.E. in Win 10 to find and open a template.

Anyone have any ideas? Are there any tweaks? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

And if anyone can tell me how they use the tabs in File Explorer, I'll be interested.
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Re: Windows 11's new File Explorer sucks - but that's not my topic

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Windows xx File Explorer have always been less than useful for any serious work.

That's why I've had a license to xplorer2 since 2004, and continue to upgrade and use it every day.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Is your Window 11 fully updated? On my version (Windows 11 22H2 build 22621.1992) the Open command in the context menu opens a template instead of creating a new document/workbook.

I find the tab feature of File Explorer useless. I prefer opening two Explorer windows.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

kdock wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 23:28
...Anyone have any ideas? Are there any tweaks?...
Might this third party utility help?
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... tcher.html

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

When things start to misbehave in Windows it is often a good idea to use DISM and SFC to check and possibly restore system files. If you are unsure of the commands see How to use DISM to repair Windows 11.
Joe

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 01:18
That's why I've had a license to xplorer2 since 2004, and continue to upgrade and use it every day.
Thanks PJ, I'll take a look.
I was perfectly happy with the previous Windows file explorer, but no longer. Even without the oddity of opening files, I find Win 11's layout curiously murky and a little unpredictable.
HansV wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 07:06
Is your Window 11 fully updated? On my version (Windows 11 22H2 build 22621.1992) the Open command in the context menu opens a template instead of creating a new document/workbook.

I find the tab feature of File Explorer useless. I prefer opening two Explorer windows.
Thanks Hans. Yep, same build as yours. And I, too, have always preferred opening two windows. I hear tabs was a popular request and I don't see why. Unless this isn't what people expected when they requested it?

Is there any chance that it's an Office option? Seems wildly unlikely, but, hey ...Microsoft.
stuck wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 10:22
Might this third party utility help?
Thanks Ken. Yes, it might. Along with PJ's recommendation, it looks like I have options.
JoeP wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 16:08
When things start to misbehave in Windows it is often a good idea to use DISM and SFC to check and possibly restore system files.
Thanks Joe. I'll try this first.

To all: I certainly appreciate your assistance!
Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

PROGRESS. I ran DISM and it found nothing, so I went on to SFC and it found and fixed something unrelated. So it was worth it.

I opened File Explorer, right-clicked on a template, clicked Open and it did open the file.
BUT, if I use Win 11's suggestion to simply press the Enter key (instead of just mouse-clicking Open), the template opens a new document and runs any auto macros/dialogs.

If the template didn't have a dialog, I didn't notice that a new document was created.

In all, I found three ways to create a new document from a template and only one to just open the template (which required ignoring the prompt to the right of "Open" to press Enter).

If you click "Open" OR press Enter on a regular document, it doesn't do anything but open the document. "New" isn't even available. And my suspicion is that they placed "Enter" on the "Open" menu line because it works with documents. They didn't or couldn't remove it when the file being acted on is not a document. Programming. What're you gonna do?

Anyway, the issue seems not to be with the (stupid) UI, but with the (grievously misled) keyboard operator. I now have it straight in my head how to open a template from F.E. without creating a new doc.

Those alternative file managers are looking better and better.

Thank you all,
Kim

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Kim, the behavior is the same as it's been for many versions; only the presentation has changed (apparently -- I don't have Windows 11, and won't until I rebuild this PC next year).

In the right-click menu in File Explorer, at least through Win10, the default command for the type of file that's selected is shown in bold, and that's the command that executes if you don't right-click but just press Enter. The default commands are different for documents and templates:
1.png
2.png
The assumption is that the purpose of a template -- the thing you'll want to do most of the time -- is to base new documents on it. Opening a template to make changes in the template is assumed to be not worth default status.

In case you want the nerdiest tech info, which command is the default for each file type is determined in the registry. In the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.12\shell, the value named (Default) has the data Open. In the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Template.12\shell, that value has the data New. You could change the latter value to Open so the two types would behave the same, but then you'd have to right-click and choose New to create a new document from the template.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Jay, its different in Windows 11. Here is the context menu of a Word template:

S2416.png

There is no entry in bold. New is listed first, and Open has Enter after it.
But... pressing Enter will execute the New action: it creates a blank new document, instead of executing the Open action that has been marked with Enter. This is misleading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Thank you Jay. What Hans said. I never had this issue with Windows 10 or any version before. It was that little "Enter" prompt that lead me astray. But I know better now.

And I LOVE to know the nerdiest tech info, so thanks for that, too!

Best,
Kim

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

HansV wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 07:05
Hi Jay, its different in Windows 11.
There is no entry in bold. New is listed first, and Open has Enter after it.
But... pressing Enter will execute the New action: it creates a blank new document, instead of executing the Open action that has been marked with Enter. This is misleading.
Well, that's one of several reasons I won't be moving to Windows 11 for a while. In fact, I may hang on until the bitter end in 2025. :hairout: