Update Failure

silverback
5StarLounger

Update Failure

Post by silverback »

I'm at a friend;s house and he's just bought a new PC with Windows 11 installed.
He's trying to install Security Update for Windows 11 (KB5012170) and Cumulative Update for Windows 11 (KB5025239). Both fail repeatedly.
The error code changes but is either 0x800700c1 or 0x80248014. Invited to Retry, he tries but it repeatedly fails.
Any suggestions, please?
As previously posted, I am still on Windows 10 (and likely to stay there judging by his problems!) so feeling helpless.
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Re: Update Failure

Post by HansV »

Sometimes it helps to download the update from Microsoft Update Catalog. Make sure to select the one for his version.
KB5012170
KB5025239
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

silverback wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 15:45
...He's trying to install...
Why try to force an update? Why not simply wait for Windows to automatically install whatever updates it deems necessary?

Ken

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Hans
Tried your solution and both failed. :hairout:
Ken
We're not trying to force an update. They are sitting in the Windows Update area., and incidentally, a .NET update as well, which also fails to install.
Clearly, Windows thinks the PC needs these updates.
Silverback

PS : Where is the Windows 11 Software Update cache? I tried looking for C:WIndowsSoftwareDistributionDownload but it doesn't exist on W11.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

silverback wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 16:28
...We're not trying to force an update. They are sitting in the Windows Update area., and incidentally, a .NET update as well, which also fails to install...
Ah, OK.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

There is a built-in Windows Update troubleshooter you can find at Settings | System | Troubleshooting | Other troubleshooters. I've never had much luck with the built-in troubleshooters but it can't hurt.
Joe

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

There is a built-in Windows Update troubleshooter you can find at Settings | System | Troubleshooting | Other troubleshooters. I've never had much luck with the built-in troubleshooters but it can't hurt.
Joe. We tried that. It reported that changes had been made to Windows Update and said we had to repeat the failing action - it failed again.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I'm back at home now and so away from the problem. I tried cleaning the cache but no joy - all the updates (two Windows, one.NET) failed again.
He's going to try contacting MS Support and let them have a go.

It's a brand new Dell PC which came with Windows 11 installed. Looking at the update history, no update has been successfully applied since delivery. I think that's quite worrying from a security point of view.

Silverback

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Well, I've found that Microsoft support often wants to do a clean reinstall. If he has any data that he wants to keep have him backup the system before starting with Microsoft.
Joe

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If its a brand new Dell PC then you could try Dell support
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Stuart is correct. Microsoft likely won't turn him down but technically Dell is supposed to be the first line of Windows support for anything PC in warranty.
Joe

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

silverback wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 11:42
It's a brand new Dell PC ...
Have you run Dell's SupportAssist? - I have known instances where something won't install because it's waiting for something else to install.

(It should be pre-installed - if not: SupportAssist for PCs | Dell UK)
Leif

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Eileen's Lounge wins again!
I had never heard of the Dell Support Centre, so without your input(s) it would not have been thought of.
Friend contacted Dell Support and they took control of his PC. It's taken most of today to fix, finally resulting in a complete reload of WIndows 11. All updates are now installed, including some Dell program fixes.
He sends his grateful thanks to the forum.
Many thanks to all who contributed. :fanfare: :thankyou:
Silverback