Win11 MSPaint Ribbon?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Win11 MSPaint Ribbon?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Untitled.png
I'm not sure what's going on. I am having a pretty good day today in Bonavista, excepting when I sit down to use Windows 11. MsPaint. Especially MSPaint.

(1) The snapshot above shows with a red arrow how much Screen real-estate is absorbed by the ribbon.
I can threaten to do a comparison exercise with Win7 which is lurking close by.

A quick Google Search for "Windows 11 Paint ribbon" throws up nothing useful.
Am I the only one to feel threatened?
I mean, $1,100 for a new laptop with a 1920x something screen, and MSoft gobbles it up before you can say "I know all the keyboard commands anyway".

(2) Where is the menu system in MSPaint? I issue from the keyboard Alt+F, A, and look screenwards to the File saveAs dialogue box which has not appeared. Yes, I have an SSD so I ought not to have to wait. I do a pretty good interpretation of eddie izzard with my Alt+F, A, but nothing but that dental tone that Is supposed to be turned OFF in notifications, but that can wait for another day.

Since 1988 or thereabouts (3.0) I have used File saveAs to preserve my sweet words of wisdom. That's 35 years! Either MSoft has gone barmy or I am going barmy.

Any sane suggestions welcomed.
(signed) "What happened to Wednesday" of Bonavista
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Win11 MSPaint Ribbon?

Post by JoeP »

Unfortunately, shrinking the ribbon is currently not available. There is a feedback item about this in the Feedback Hub app. You should find it, upvote it, and add any comments you wish.
Joe

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you looked at the File menu in Paint? There are keyboard commands for New, Open, and Save. For an existing file, Save just saves. For a new file, Save brings up the Save As dialog. I don't see a keyboard command for Save As. That may be because Save As has a submenu of the file type to save before you get to the location dialog.
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 18:31
Have you looked at the File menu in Paint?
At least 309 times since the start of this year. (Everything reveals 309 PNG files modified since Jan 1st 2023, so I have created or edited that many at least. Probably double that count for modifications to screen shots. 69 (or 138) PNG files since March 1st.
There are keyboard commands for New, Open, and Save. For an existing file, Save just saves. For a new file, Save brings up the Save As dialog. I don't see a keyboard command for Save As. That may be because Save As has a submenu of the file type to save before you get to the location dialog.
If by "keyboard commands" you mean shortcuts for New, Open, Save and Image properties(?!!???), then yes,

My whinge is about how, after 35 years of muscle memory that:-
Alt+F, A
would bring up the saveAs dialogue box, suddenly it doesn't, and I can't come up with a logical reason for excluding it.
Untitled4.png
In Notepad, the Alt+F still brings up the File menu. Surprisingly Alt+F, U works just as it ought to after 35 years in many Microsoft and Windows-based applications), but not one of those menu commands is underlined to indicate the required keystroke.

Why is this annoying? Because when I started teaching Windows (applications) I taught beginners that "anything you can do with the mouse you can do with the keyboard; and anything that you can do with the keyboard you can do with the mouse"(1), to stress that I was neither anti-mouse nor anti-keyboard, but that I was against the habit of switching between the two devices every three seconds, which I saw as a drain of productivity.

My training colleagues and I called it the "Ooops! There goes my coffee!" shuffle.

In closing I must add that I am NOT mad at you (or anyone else here) but as I get older I start to question my own logic. ("Is it me, or ...") and it really does seem to me that Microsoft have made many retrograde steps and removed many useful features all for the sake of "rounded corners on your windows" which in the mid-fifties was called "bigger tail fins on your cars".

(1)between half a dozen of us trainers we came up with three exceptions to this rule. One of them was in Quattro Pro, I forget the other two.

Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace