Context Menu, edit

curious
3StarLounger

Context Menu, edit

Post by curious »

Looking for a way to customize the Context Menu, I came across this suggestion in GuidingTech (https://www.guidingtech.com/how-to-cust ... indows-11/)
Open Command Prompt and paste the following command:
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve
Restart the computer and that’s about it.
Is this the way to go? Thank you

HansV
Administrator

Re: Context Menu, edit

Post by HansV »

If you want the old context menu back, yes.
On the other hand, if you stay with the new streamlined context menu, you only have to press Shift+F10 after selecting a file or folder to get the old Windows 10-style context menu, so I don't see a pressing need to go back.
Best wishes,
Hans

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

I jumped from Win 8 (8.1) to 11 so not familiar with that 'shortcut,' tho still involves extra keyboard action.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Pressing Shift+F10 instead of right-clicking is not so bad...
Best wishes,
Hans

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Quite right, of course

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

curious wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 16:36
Looking for a way to customize the Context Menu, I came across this suggestion in GuidingTech ...
Thanks curious. Worked for me.
@Hans I daresay that the Shift-F10 scheme works too, but on my new HP15 the <FKeys> are tiny with tiny font, so for all that I'm a keyboard junkie ...

I think I get most ticked off by MSoft deciding that a new funky mode is groovy, forcing me to re-learn how to do a basic operation that has worked well since the year dot.
And yes, I am now spending time either learning Yet Another New Way, or trying to find out how to re-implement something that MSoft decided on my behalf, that I didn't need.
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I know people don't like to "hear it" but Microsoft usually makes UI changes based on analysis of a huge amount of usage data. Inevitably, these changes upset a substantial subset of users who use one or more features that are more difficult to access after the change. If you do not like a change, file new feedback in the Feedback Hub app. If enough others agree with you, Microsoft may make another change.
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 14:58
I know people don't like to "hear it" but Microsoft usually makes UI changes based on analysis of a huge amount of usage data. Inevitably, these changes upset a substantial subset of users who use one or more features that are more difficult to access after the change. If you do not like a change, file new feedback in the Feedback Hub app. If enough others agree with you, Microsoft may make another change.
Hi Joe. No doubt in my mind that MSoft analyses data. My biggest gripe is that the decision all too often is to choose to turf the old and bring in the new when (it seems to me) both forms could exist side by side.

The Feedback Hub sounds promising, but old stick-in-the-mud me would make just one entry: Please keep the Win10 interface for Win 11.

I suspect that there are by now cover-aps that mimic the Retro look of Win 10 in Win 11.

Thanks for the info!
Cheers, Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not a great fan of Windows 11, but:
When Windows 7 was introduced, users wanted to go back to the Windows XP interface.
When Windows 10 was introduced, users wanted to go back to the Windows 7 interface.
When Windows 11 was introduced, users wanted to go back to the Windows 10 interface.
Best wishes,
Hans

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

And when that wonderful UI the "Ribbon" was introduced, many users took up pitchforks and torches. Didn't do a bit of good because, you know, Microsoft knows best.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 17:06
When Windows 7 was introduced, users wanted to go back to the Windows XP interface.
When Windows 10 was introduced, users wanted to go back to the Windows 7 interface.
When Windows 11 was introduced, users wanted to go back to the Windows 10 interface.
Of course.
Humans love variety but hate change.
'twas ever thus ...

I have noticed over the years the introduction of so many "retro" schemes for Windows. They are probably educational to develop, fun to write, and i do feel the urge to make use of them.

Now ***I*** can remember when Win95 was introduced with something called The Registry, :flee: :flee:
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 18:11
And when that wonderful UI the "Ribbon" was introduced, many users took up pitchforks and torches. Didn't do a bit of good because, you know, Microsoft knows best.
:clapping: :clapping:

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

HansV wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 17:06
But seriously, on Win 10 I have a folder with shortcuts to important or often used files (Squeglia tables, etc.) and handy programs that I have as a customizable toolbar on my Windows taskbar. That's not an option on Windows 11.

So by your and JoeP's thinking, many, many users wanted MS to remove that feature so MS humbly complied with the users wishes.

Sorry, not buying it.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Maint.png
PJ_in_FL wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 18:25
But seriously, on Win 10 I have a folder with shortcuts to important or often used files (Squeglia tables, etc.) and handy programs that I have as a customizable toolbar on my Windows taskbar. That's not an option on Windows 11.
Hi PJ.
You mean like my T:\Maint folder, that I've grown from a single shortcut?
I didn't know that one could have a customizable toolbar in Win10. Win7 for that matter, so perhaps NOT being able to have a customizable toolbar when I haven't yet had one is a bit of a conundrum.

The fact that I don't use or miss customizable toolbars and get by quite well with a taskbar icon that launches me straight into T:\Maint\ AND leaves me with an bonus - a copy of Explorer suggests that I am still ahead of the game.

Right now I get the feeling that MSoft is trying to spoon-feed people who aren't prepared to learn the basics of Windows. Now it can be argued ("Group Policy Editor", "Ribbon", etc) that I fall into this category, but two days ago I noticed that Cut, Copy, and Paste seemed to have disappeared from the right-click menu as well as Edit. Can this mean that the average Windows user isn't making use of Cut, Copy, Paste, and never wants to edit a text file?

On account of my age, blood pressure, trouble getting a good night's sleep etc ( :grin: :laugh: :rofl:) I am restricting myself to addressing just ONE issue of migration each day. Otherwise the rest of my life will be spent recovering from making use of a machine that was supposed to help me to get things done.

Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

I like having the toolbar easy to access, and I can move the items to more convenient spots regardless of any file name sort orders, etc. Also, using subfolders to combine but easily access additional items keeps the toolbar footprint small.
Win10_CustomToolBar.jpg
P.S.: This is a photo of the screen. Can't snip or print screen without the toolbar disappearing.
P.P.S: Yes it IS a nice, sunny day here in Central Florida! Thanks for asking!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 16:19
Hi Joe. No doubt in my mind that MSoft analyses data. My biggest gripe is that the decision all too often is to choose to turf the old and bring in the new when (it seems to me) both forms could exist side by side.
I should add that my HP15 came with Windows 11 HOME edition, so I am presenting to MSoft a profile of someone who isn't nerdy, let alone clever and nerdy. There's a chance that if I bought the Elon Musk Executive version of Windows, MSoft might not bash me around so much!
Cheers, Chris

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 18:25

So by your and JoeP's thinking, many, many users wanted MS to remove that feature so MS humbly complied with the users wishes.
That is not at all what I was saying unless you are saying that feature usage indicates user wishes. Microsoft analyzes great volumes of usage data to assist the decision-making process. Microsoft also takes into account feedback from the Feedback Hub. AND, feedback from its largest customers. I'm not naive enough to think that money does not enter the equation.

I understand that any one feature may be important to a large number of users by our standards but that number may be small compared to the whole Windows user base. Microsoft is basing decisions on the whole user base.
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

@ALL
I am still trying to wrap my pointy-head around why MSoft has denied me the use of the keyboard in MSPaint (Paint?), not ChumpPaint, to effect generic operations such as File, Save, and File, saveAs.
I note too in Notepad that the underline for "F" and "A" in the menu system is removed, although I can still use Alt+F, A to save-as.

Seriously: what does disabling functionality, and removing clues of use to beginners do for anyone?

It is akin to entering a fast-food joint and discovering that either:-
(1) they have nailed shut the washrooms - not locked (ask for a key) but wooden 2x4 and nails. Or bricked them over.
(2) they still have operating washrooms, but the doors no longer have any sort of sign on them to indicate that they are doors to the washroom.

I should make use of the feedback hub instead of :ranton: :rantoff: in here, but with MSoft's manifestation of Win11 logic I am not optimistic that anyone there thinks logically.

Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 18:21
... I note too in Notepad that the underline for "F" and "A" in the menu system is removed, although I can still use Alt+F, A to save-as.
Untitled.png
Then last night I noticed that Notepad has, to the right of its File menu, displayed the symbols for its sub-menus or operations.
Hence the beginner can see that saveAs is Alt+F,A

Cheers, Chris