Screen saver

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Screen saver

Post by Skitterbug »

I know the present day monitors don't really need a screen saver but I like them. My PC "used" to do this when I first set it up. Then after a few updates from MS, I noticed it wasn't happening. Checked the settings but I don't see anything that would cause the screen saver to be belligerent. Is there any ideas how to fix this so the screen saver will work once again? It is a tiny problem compared to what could happen but it is annoying just the same.

Thanks!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Screen saver

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Hi Hans - I have a headache...... :smile: Not really. But I did try all that was offered in your link and then some. Found things that I didn't know about - like Windows 11 home doesn't have Local Group Editor installed. It does now! Updated my graphic card. I thought the system was doing this automatically. :sigh: Visited REGEDIT and was amused that I did remember how to navigate around and of course I was careful to not delete anything. So it was interesting but the screen saver is still being stubborn. I've apparently done or added or changed "something" and the trick will be to find what I've done. It isn't urgent, it is just one of those kinks that can be an irritant. Long story so I'll stop and if I do find what I've done, I'll post it. :yep:
Have an excellent week! And thank you!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you are using Photos as your screen saver, check to see if there is a video file in the folder(s) you chose. The screen saver software does not like videos.
Joe

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Hi Joe - I'll add that to my list of learning new items. In this case, I never used anything for a screensaver except the generic bubbles and ribbons offered by MS. Thanks for the info!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 16:57
... In this case, I never used anything for a screensaver except the generic bubbles and ribbons offered by MS. ...
Hi Skitterbug. My 2c worth.
I use Win10 and have a set of eight BMP files that are rotated at each reboot, so the set of eight changes by one image each reboot.
I right/click on the bare window, choose Peronalize and proceed as shown here:-
Untitled.png
Of course, you will want to create a spare folder with, say, three BMPs in it before changing your settings.
I reason that if you change to a folder of images and your screen-saver returns (with ugly BMPs!) then at least you feel confident that the screen-saver mechanism is working. The problem then might be that your bubbles etc are somehow not being found by the Win11 screensaver.
Cheers, Chris
P.S. I have attached one of today's images to cheer us up as the sleety rain strikes the windows. C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Bubbles and Ribbon screen savers are still available in Windows 11:

S2016.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 18:56
Hi Skitterbug. My 2c worth.
I use Win10 and have a set of eight BMP files that are rotated at each reboot, so the set of eight changes by one image each reboot.

P.S. I have attached one of today's images to cheer us up as the sleety rain strikes the windows. C
Our weather is bleak today as well. No sunshine to cheer us.
So you are giving my problem 2c worth..... well - thanks! However it isn't the background on my desktop that is causing me troubles. It is the screensaver that won't activate as I want. Good to hear from you though! You've not blown away - yet!
Keep warm and keep safe!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Does the screen go blank?
Joe

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

JoeP wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 21:51
Does the screen go blank?
No. It just continues to stay focused on the desktop and doesn't make an attempt to switch - that I can tell. I did wonder if the "ribbon or bubble screensaver" could be accessed by the screensaver application. I haven't a clue where to check for this info. Under regedit - Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop, there is a screensaver entry that is set to "1" so I am going to assume that means it should activate?

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Try this test. Find bubbles.scr in C:\Windows\system32. Double-click it. The screensaver should run. Just move the mouse to stop it.

If that works then most likely there is something running on your system preventing the screensaver from starting. Could be a program simulating mouse movement or a keyboard click. Have you added any new programs or devices right before the problem started? Have you upgraded any programs or drivers right before the problem started?
Joe

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Found them and yes, bubbles and ribbons both will activate. :smile: Now trying to remember what I did/added/upgraded is the trick! Since this computer is fairly new and I've been putting "stuff" on it, I'm not sure I'll be able to figure out what I added to cause the problem. :sigh: Add to that, there are so many places that can be accessed for changing "this and that". But now I have a better idea maybe why the screensaver is acting up. Thanks Joe! If you have any ideas on how to make the 'old memory box work', let me know! LOL

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Found where I can check the date an app is added. (Settings - Apps - Installed apps - sort by: Date installed) Now to see if I can come up with a date when the screen saver went on the blink....... Is there a log someplace in the system that would show something like this? Windows Home probably isn't as likely to have an information log file? Or would it?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 19:51
...However it isn't the background on my desktop that is causing me troubles. It is the screensaver that won't activate as I want. ...
My mistake! Apologies.
Cheers, Chris

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 10:17
Skitterbug wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 19:51
...However it isn't the background on my desktop that is causing me troubles. It is the screensaver that won't activate as I want. ...
My mistake! Apologies.
Cheers, Chris
No apology needed! The more I learn about Windows 11, the better off I am! :grin:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Skitterbug!

I didn't know that one could sort installed apps by installation date. I've needed that in the past and had to resort to other less perfect means to find and fix issues.

You taught me something today. The trick will be to see if an octogenarian brain can retain it and recall it. :innocent:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

BobH wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 18:21
Thank you, Skitterbug!

I didn't know that one could sort installed apps by installation date. I've needed that in the past and had to resort to other less perfect means to find and fix issues.

You taught me something today. The trick will be to see if an octogenarian brain can retain it and recall it. :innocent:
I am glad that I could help and I appreciate your kindness in letting me know! :grin: Eileen's Lounge has always been my "go to" place when I need to figure something out about PC's and their O/S layouts. It is a treasured resource. And the added bonus - the people who participate in this project are topnotch!

Have a great day! :yep:

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Skitterbug wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 15:28
I know the present day monitors don't really need a screen saver but I like them.

Hello Skitterbug

Interesting thread.

I'm a fan of the Mystify screensaver. But I turn it off when I'm capturing astro images and turn it on again when I'm done. But I don't know where the Screen Saver Settings are! Every time I do this I have to search "screensaver" in the system settings to find it! Just because a screen saver is not needed to save the screen, they are still aesthetically nice. It seems a little odd to me that MS give you the .scr files and then hide them away!

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 06:29
... It seems a little odd to me that MS give you the .scr files and then hide them away!
Hi Graeme.
It is a feature of MS software that options get moved around. Back in the Good Old Days mark II the PC boot sequence was stored in the root directory where we all could find it.
Now one has to navigate to C:\Users\Chris075\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
And I paranoidly suspect that posting such a statement publicly is tantamount to subversive behaviour.

It is akin to (back in the Good Old Days mark I) placing the first card of the bootstrap loader as the ninth card in the object deck. We would, today, all be walking around with our first program, wondering how to run it!

Cheers, Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 11:19
Except the folder you point to is not really part of the boot sequence, it's just where Windows looks, after the boot sequence has finished, for any programs you want to auto start after the boot sequence has finished.

Ken