Running Windows Defender on Win 11 Computer

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Running Windows Defender on Win 11 Computer

Post by hlewton »

Windows Defender was showing a Yellow caution symbol on one of my Win 11 machines. When checking out what the problem was it said that Device Security was not enabled. I tried to enable it but it would not enable. In checking the reason for it not enabling it listed WDSCAM64_PREWIN8.SYS as the problem. I managed to delete that file along with its folder using IObit Unlocker. In using my Everything search program, it no longer showed WDSCAM64_PREWIN8.SYS as being an installed file, it did before I deleted it. I rebooted to make sure that the computer knew that file was gone and it did. However, Windows Defender still would not allow me to enable the Device Security option citing the same file as the reason. That file is no longer on the machine. In order to remove the Yellow caution symbol from Windows Defender I had to choose Dismiss under the Device Security option.

I know that driver is connected to a Western Digital external hard drive. That drive is no longer in use, as matter of fact, it was never in use on the computer which is the subject of this thread. It was never even attached to this computer. I had problems with the same file name on another computer but once IObit deleted it there was no more problems with it on that computer. Why would Windows Defender think the file was still on the machine when it is not?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Running Windows Defender on Win 11 Computer

Post by HansV »

Have you searched the registry for that filename?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
15 Oct 2022, 20:10
Have you searched the registry for that filename?
No, I hadn't thought of doing that. However, I did search it before making this post. It does not show up in a Registry search either.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You might also look at Autoruns (free from Microsoft) to see if you can find the file listed there.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks. I had that program already installed and it finds nothing either.

I am not sure what choosing "Dismiss" in Windows Defender does as far as Device Security goes. I tried to find that toggle switch it would not allow me to enable. But when I checked the settings of Device Security, it appeared to me that it was working fine and no toggle switch in site. Please see the attachment. It came out a bit blurry because I had to resize it to be allowed to upload it.
Secure.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What if you click the link under Core isolation?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yep that is where it is and it is still doing the exact same thing even though that file is nowhere to be found, I still can't toggle it on.
Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Hans, I just solved it. That file was no longer anywhere to be found but there was a folder that started with the same first letters of "WDCSAM64" plus many more characters and I didn't write them down. That folder was in a, and I don't remember the exact nasme of that folder either, folder named File Repository, or something like that. I tried to open it up to see if WDCSAM64_PREWIN8.SYS was inside it but it would not open up. So, I took a chance and deleted it with iObit and now I was able to toggle that switch on. I rebooted and all seems well. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Great. I hope it'll keep on working.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 16:45
Great. I hope it'll keep on working.
Me too. It did on the other machine I had to delete that file. But, I only had to delete the SYS file, nothing else. I can't see that driver being reinstalled since I don't use that Western Digital external drive anymore.
Regards,
hlewton