Windows 11 has been officially released

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 11 has been officially released

Post by HansV »

That's lovely, thanks, but I wonder what moved Microsoft to make the OS harder to use. Why not provide an option in Settings to use simplified or full context menus...?
Best wishes,
Hans

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

Who knows how the minds at Microsoft work? Simple logic or common sense sometimes don't seem to be in great abundance.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I think Raymond Chen (at MSFT) once discussed why an "expert settings"-option wasn't a good idea, that almost everyone would consider themselves experts. (We have seen such in older anti-malware software etc.)

I haven't yet seen this, reduced context menus, but it seems like a really stupid move.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Here is the shortcut menu for a file:

S0809.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Eh, oh. One would think "Open" would be redundant.
(And icons for all options.)
--
Edit: I definitely agree; seems like an excellent setting for folder views, Hans.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I am still waiting for somebody to identify any benefits of this change. It's starting to sound like <censored comment on UK political choices>
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Let's see what the coming updates bring. For the moment, it looks like Microsoft is following its rule that every other Windows version sucks:

Windows 98 +
Windows ME -
Windows XP +
Windows Vista -
Windows 7 +
Windows 8 - (although 8.1 was more or less OK)
Windows 10 +
Windows 11 - ???
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

HansV wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 22:11
Let's see what the coming updates bring. For the moment, it looks like Microsoft is following its rule that every other Windows version sucks...
That was my thought.

I wonder how much of this can be blamed on Microsoft's penchant for moving technical personnel from one project/product to another after a few years. It seems that no one on the Windows 11 team has any "institutional memory" of Windows 8's problems.

I remember a presentation at the 2006 MVP Summit, during the leadup to the Office 2007 release, that made a big point about how badly users reacted to the simplified/expandable menus in Office 2003. They're baaack!!! :hairout:

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Oh dear Lord!

Here we go again. M$ "fixing" things that aren't broken just to jam a broken OS on unsuspecting OWNERS of the PCs M$ has their way with.

Where will it all end?!?!
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 17:23
Oh dear Lord!

Here we go again. M$ "fixing" things that aren't broken just to jam a broken OS on unsuspecting OWNERS of the PCs M$ has their way with.

Where will it all end?!?!
After the AI Apocalypse, the PCs will fix themselves. You won't have to worry about it. :thumbup:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Something else that suprises me: over the last few years, Microsoft's OS and applications have been moving to a flatter, less colorful aesthetic. 3D buttons and icons became flat, then simple line drawings. Office 2021, released simultaneously with Windows 11 continues this trend.
But in Windows 11, depth and color are back.
Here is the taskbar icon for Settings in Windows 10:

S0067.png

And in Windows 11:

S0810.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 19:48
Something else that suprises me: over the last few years, Microsoft's OS and applications have been moving to a flatter, less colorful aesthetic. 3D buttons and icons became flat, then simple line drawings. [...] But in Windows 11, depth and color are back.
Guess they are still on a backtrack from the flat mania in Windows & Office (during 2012-2017), using the Fluent design (introduced 2017) to add some depth and translucency effects, as they have already done in Win10, moving very slowly.

I haven't been able to test (for rather obvious reasons since Intel MSFT has limited the hardware, and also not tried any tricks in VMs): they say that with the new Taskbar for dummiesTM they have also removed the option to start the Task manager, it's only there as a right-click on the Start button. How about Ctrl-Shift-Esc, is that also a dead shortcut?

Someone asked, wonder what MSFT is going to do with the space on the Taskbar; linked to my point above, previously you could right-click anywhere on the Taskbar.
StuartR wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 21:52
I am still waiting for somebody to identify any benefits of this change.
As you know, people tend to focus on the surface, and for quite good reasons when it comes to Microsoft's changes, but I would like to know more about what's changed underneath. I think for example TLS 1.3 is on by default in latest win10 versions, as it is now in Win11.
Jay Freedman wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 23:58
I remember a presentation at the 2006 MVP Summit, during the leadup to the Office 2007 release, that made a big point about how badly users reacted to the simplified/expandable menus in Office 2003. They're baaack!!! :hairout:
I had forgot about that; awful thing that changed depending on how you used it.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ctrl+Shift+Esc still activates the Task Manager.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 21:52
I am still waiting for somebody to identify any benefits of this change. It's starting to sound like <censored comment on UK political choices>
Hi Stuart.
5095705313_d1d01654bb_ba.jpg
Intelligent people in so-called Civilized nations as far away as Australia in the mid-50s snapped up new models of Customlines (and Mainlines and ...) as they rolled off the factory lines on account of the tail fins. This at a time when driving speeds were such that a trip to Perth 230 miles away took six hours!

MS is very good at selling tail-fins.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+much+sale ... ext&ia=web
I can fault MS on its code and functionality, but I cannot fault MS on its Marketing and Sales.
Bill Gates has been driven around for years by chauffeurs whose personal automobile is fancier than any I have ever dreamed of owning, let alone owned.

The benefits of this change are evident to the shareholders and the bean-counters whose job it is to generate revenue, and they continue to do that very well.

:ranton: That these folks ignore humble peasants like me who want only a stable programming platform on which to program is, to them, neither here nor there! :rantoff:

Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you want a quick, free portable app to control the context menus in Windows 11 see Windows 11 classic context menu.
Joe

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

This is Microsoft's take on the context menu changes - Context menu in Windows 11.
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Joe.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 15:50
This is Microsoft's take on the context menu changes - Context menu in Windows 11.
The first part of that reads like "Context menus have been so popular that we have cut them back"..
The second part makes more sense, e.g. setting "Open With" geographically closer to "Open"; although many-a-slip will gives some users a surprise.
Cheers
Chris

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

From the article linked above
"Shift-F10 or the keyboard menu key will also load the Windows 10 context menu."

No need to mess with the registry or an app if you are a keyboard fanatic. Or if you don't want the Windows 10 context menu permanently.
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 16:29
"Shift-F10 or the keyboard menu key will also load the Windows 10 context menu."
" ... ... if you are a keyboard fanatic. ":yep:

Nice. I didn't know Shift+F10, and it works in Win10.(1)

FWIW my older DELL laptop has a flaky trackpad so Alt-F10 brings that machine back to life.
Thanks Joe!
Chris
(1) I suppose we should be grateful that they didn't change this to Shift+F11 :evilgrin: