Trying to run DISM

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Trying to run DISM

Post by hlewton »

On a Windows 10 Pro machine I ran SFC /SCANNNOW. It found and said it repaired files. I them tried to run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth It came up with the error that can be seen in the attachment. Apparently it cannot find source files and I am suppose to specify a location. I followed the suggested link but don't know what I need to do to specify that location. I am running this because the latest cumulative update for Win 10 Pro will not install on this machine. So any idea what I can do to fix this problem?
dism.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Trying to run DISM

Post by JoeP »

Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 13:46
See this article - How to use the DISM command line utility to repair Windows 10.
Thank you. I read and followed everything that article said about the DISM command. I ran them separately and the first 2 options of CheckHealth and ScanHealth ran and said it was fixable. I then ran the third option of RestoreHealth and again got the same error message about not finding the Source in order to restore the Health. According to the article, my source is supposed to be the Internet, which the computer is hooked up to and that is working. So, I still have no idea how to fix it. It does seem to always stick at 62.3% for quite some time. So I looked that up on the NET and it said to give it time and let it finish and/or check for an update at Windows Update site. I did all these and still have not accomplished anything. I don't want to use an ISO file because I'm not at all familiar with that. Any suggestions how to fix this?
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If DISM needs a source file, then you need an ISO file. It is important to download the correct version of Windows 10. What is it you are running? 21H2? 22H2? What does your system tell you the version is?
Joe

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

It appears from the image in your first post that you have the latest Windows 10 release + cumulative updates through September. You should be able to use the Media Creation Tool found at Download Windows 10 to create an ISO suitable for use with DISM.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 00:27
It appears from the image in your first post that you have the latest Windows 10 release + cumulative updates through September. You should be able to use the Media Creation Tool found at Download Windows 10 to create an ISO suitable for use with DISM.
Yes, I have 22H2. I will follow your link. Thank you for the help.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I ran the ISO file and I think everything worked because it did do the latest Windows Updates after the ISO file ran. However, at one point I was presented with an option to open a file with a list of programs and I chose Notepad but I did not tell it to always use that program. In any case now when the computer boots up it opens this program using Notepad and I don't think it should. The attachment shows what I am talking about. What do I need to do to correct this from using Notepad and using whatever program it is supposed to use?
Restore.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You need to go to Settings | Apps | Default Apps. Scroll down to "Choose defaults by file type". Find VBS and set it to Windows Based Script Host (or some similar wording)
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 20:01
You need to go to Settings | Apps | Default Apps. Scroll down to "Choose defaults by file type". Find VBS and set it to Windows Based Script Host (or some similar wording)
Thank you very much.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 20:01
That worked great, again thanks. I was looking at the code and I see both Windows 10 and Windows 11 mentioned. What is that code doing? Is it trying to determine if I am running Windows 10 or running Windows 11? The machine this was on is definitely a Windows 10 Pro OS.
Regards,
hlewton