Create a second user account in Windows identical to first but with a different login

jmt356
SilverLounger

Create a second user account in Windows identical to first but with a different login

Post by jmt356 »

Is it possible on a laptop to create a second account in Windows that is identical to the first account except that it has a different user name and password?

For example, I have an account with certain programs installed and certain shortcuts on my taskbar. Can I clone this into a second account?

I just tried doing this, but the second account looked different from the first. For example, this account has Office 2016 installed on it. In the second account that I created, I tried opening Word but Windows tried installing Word 365, which I don't want. Also, the second account changed the taskbar to the Windows default, with Edge instead of Chrome, and with a searchbar and other items I do not want or need. What I want is this same account, but with different login credentials for a second user who can use all of my programs and layout without requiring me to reconfigure everything.
Regards,

JMT

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: Create a second user account in Windows identical to first but with a different login

Post by jonwallace »

You could try this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a1d0650855

Disclaimer, I haven't tried it...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

jmt356
SilverLounger

Re: Create a second user account in Windows identical to first but with a different login

Post by jmt356 »

I made a mistake; the programs on my account are also installed on the second account I created. When I entered the second account and tried launching Word, I was prompted to accept the License Agreement. I mistook this for a prompt to install Office 365. In reality, Office 2016 is installed on both accounts on the laptop.

However, I need to manually configure the shortcuts and other settings to match mine.
Regards,

JMT