Experiences of Defender?

Argus
GoldLounger

Experiences of Defender?

Post by Argus »

Is anyone here running Windows 10 with Defender as their choice of AV software? I guess it works similar to MSE on Windows 7 (i.e. as good/bad when it comes to detecting). I've been asked about free alternatives, and as we all know it is to some extent a matter of taste, or what you need; full protection and add-ons, alert messages etc. (if indeed included in a free version) or minimalistic interface and minimal interference, combined with the user's modus operandi.

I know a bit about how MSE & Defender scores in comparison with some other AV software. I have one the latest flavours of Windows 10 in a virtual machine, and I think there has been a change in the UI for Defender, could be wrong, but my focus in that one isn't testing AV (at least at the moment). In addition it is of course good to use an on-demand anti malware scanner, but that's a subject for another thread.

That is, any new experiences, or comments, compared to this thread:
How good is Windows 10 Defender
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Experiences of Defender?

Post by HansV »

The interface has been simplified in the Creators Update of Windows 10 (version 1703). Even more than before, it's a "set and forget" application. It's still perfectly adequate for my use, but users who want more detailed control may not like it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Experiences of Defender?

Post by Argus »

Thank you, Hans. Yes, I think it moved to the same window as the settings and, well, they changed quite a bit there. I like MSE & Defender but sometimes I miss detailed reports etc.

I just have to think what suits this particular user, they have been known to, eh, take a walk on the wild side, :laugh: clicking links left and right, sometimes installing dubious software and as result one of the older laptops was full of PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) (> 1000 hits) and saw some minor things, changed browser start page and search results (which definitely wasn't minor), but they haven't been hit with a major virus and are now keeping their PCs updated.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.