Windows 10 Update Messing Up Desktop Icons

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows 10 Update Messing Up Desktop Icons

Post by hlewton »

aekyall wrote:hlewton:

This is all way above my 'pay grade'. However, from reading back over the posts, you seem to now have 5 computers all of which are/have suffered issues with desktop icons and/or power setting issues following installation of 1703? If that's correct, is there any possibility that they are not 'off the self' models, but have some aspects of custom build which might be an issue? Just a (layman's) thought! (probably not a very constructive one!)
Almost correct. I have 4 computers all of which had desktop icon problems to some degree after the update. 2 of them are laptops straight off the shelf models. 2 are desktop models which have nothing special built into them and all of these were purchased from the same computer shop. The desktop models may have custom parts but I sure don't know what they would be and they are the ones having the least problems at this point. 1 laptop that updated yesterday will not keep the desktop icons where I want them without the use of WinTidy and my new laptop less than two weeks old will not use the Power Saving Options as it did before the latest Win 10 update. This was just a normal Win 10 monthly update because it came straight off the shelf to me with Win 10 Creators Edition already installed. Hope that clears things up a little.

Edit: I should also have said that none of the other computers are having power setting issues except the one mentioned above.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Version 15.45.19.4678 (May 2017) is newer than 21.20.16.4550 (November 2016), strangely enough. You might give it a try.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Version 15.45.19.4678 (May 2017) is newer than 21.20.16.4550 (November 2016), strangely enough. You might give it a try.
I think I will but will have to wait until Monday to get a hold of the fellow who does this kind of thing for me so that I make sure I don't mess anything up. If things go wrong during this type of process I feel better having him in control of the computer.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's a wise decision.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger