SilverLounger

Re: Windows 10 Update Messing Up Desktop Icons

Post by JoeP »

Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:See if this article is any help - Desktop icons rearrange and move after reboot in Windows 10.
Thank you Joe.If the changes I made earlier don't prove to be successful I will certainly at least try the suggestion in your link to delete the “Hidden” IconCache.db. That may be very helpful.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:You can check the version as follows:
Press the Windows key or click the Start button.
Type winver and press Enter.
S1706.png
Version 1507 is the first release of Windows 10 from July 2015.
Version 1511 is the Fall Update from November 2015.
Version 1607 is the Anniversary Update from July 2016.
Version 1703 is the Creators Update from April 2017 (it is named 1703 because it was originally slated for release in March of 2017).
Probably a stupid question but last week I got a screen asking me to check my settings like I have in the past when my other computers were updated to the Creators Edition. Today after it updated and restarted it was still Version 1607. Is this common or should it have installed to the Creators Edition since I got that settings screen last week? My other computers did update to the Creators Edition after getting the same screen prior to the next update.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I wouldn't know. Sorry.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I would say that there was a error of some type that the newer version can not be installed.
Have you checked the Update history for this update?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:I would say that there was a error of some type that the newer version can not be installed.
No and not sure exactly how to do that but I'll try to go to Windows update site and see what I can learn.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:I would say that there was a error of some type that the newer version can not be installed.
Windows update site shows no failed updates and there is a message saying, "Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it?" I guess I'll just wait to see when it decides to install.
Regards,
hlewton

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

hlewton wrote:
HansV wrote:You can check the version as follows:
Press the Windows key or click the Start button.
Type winver and press Enter.
S1706.png
Version 1507 is the first release of Windows 10 from July 2015.
Version 1511 is the Fall Update from November 2015.
Version 1607 is the Anniversary Update from July 2016.
Version 1703 is the Creators Update from April 2017 (it is named 1703 because it was originally slated for release in March of 2017).
Probably a stupid question but last week I got a screen asking me to check my settings like I have in the past when my other computers were updated to the Creators Edition. Today after it updated and restarted it was still Version 1607. Is this common or should it have installed to the Creators Edition since I got that settings screen last week? My other computers did update to the Creators Edition after getting the same screen prior to the next update.
I got the same screen asking the same questions three days ago. I Haven't yet been updated to 1703 but have had the usual monthly updates to 1607 since then. I don't think there's anything untoward about not yet getting updated to 1703 as I'm pretty sure that when I submitted the settings check I was informed that I would be made aware when the update would be actioned - I thus assume that MS will eventually get around to updating me in their own good time and that everything is going along 'normally'

Have there been any reported incidents of people with Windows 10 version 1607 not be able to update to 1703 because their computer's hardware wasn't compatible??
Regards,
Keith

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Microsoft released a patch to get users to review their settings prior to getting the Creators Update. IMO, this is a result of various European governments saying Windows 10 collects too much data. These changes plus some modifications to default settings got the French to back off.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Just a quick update. Today the laptop I was asking about the Creators Update on just updated to it. I have to try to arrange the icons the way I want now and may have to delete that file which Joe's link mentioned. So far the icons are once again jumping around.

Also for those who don't think Win 10 is a problem it also caused, with its latest updates yesterday, on my other laptop my Power Options to quit working as I had set them. I got in touch with the fellow who helps me all the time and he managed to install an older version driver for intel management engine interface. It seems to be working now.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here but thought I would update this thread on the latest Windows 10 Creators Update. It really messed up the desktop icons on the laptiop and none of the suggestions above helped at all not even deleting that hidden IconCache.db file. The only thing that works for me is running WinTidy to get my desktop as I want it. Until the Creators Update I did not have to do that on that laptop. It always booted up as I wanted it to but apparently not anymore.
Regards,
hlewton

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Well, 1703 finished installing itself just now! The whole process took well over an hour but, as far as I can tell at the moment, there doesn't seem to be any adverse effects! All my desktop icons remain as I had previously set them and I still have access to the Windows 7 control panel.

I have a dual boot system on 2 x HDD with Windows on C: and Linux 17.3 Cinnamon on T: - I dual boot using Easy BCD program and, contrary to what other Linux users have reported, installation of 1703 didn't overwrite/rewrite my C: boot partition and thus erase Grub, so all seems fine :smile:
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to hear that it went well for you, Keith.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

aekyall wrote:Well, 1703 finished installing itself just now! The whole process took well over an hour but, as far as I can tell at the moment, there doesn't seem to be any adverse effects! All my desktop icons remain as I had previously set them and I still have access to the Windows 7 control panel.

I have a dual boot system on 2 x HDD with Windows on C: and Linux 17.3 Cinnamon on T: - I dual boot using Easy BCD program and, contrary to what other Linux users have reported, installation of 1703 didn't overwrite/rewrite my C: boot partition and thus erase Grub, so all seems fine :smile:
Glad this all worked well for you. Windows 10 Creators Edition has now installed on my 4 Win 10 computers and has affected the screen icons placement to some degree on all of them. The worst being the last one that updated yesterday.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this but we have talked about so much in this thread let me try asking here for help on yet another Windows 10 update problem.

Last week I got a new laptop and all was working well until Wednesday when it was updated by Windows 10 Updates. Now the Power Options that were set to save the power both on battery and electrical power no longer work. On the net I found an article that blamed this on the driver for the
"intel management engine interface"
claiming if it was
"11.someting then u will face the shutdown and sleep problems"
. It went on to say the driver should be reverted to ver 9 or 10 and then set it so Windows updates could no longer update those drivers. I had my fellow who builds my computer do that. It still does not go into the power saving mode and I have no more ideas nor can I find any other suggestions on the WEB on how to fix this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What video card do you have? To find out:
- Click the Start button.
- Click Settings (the cogwheel icon).
- Click System.
- If necessary, click Display.
- Click 'Display adapter properties'.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Intel HD Graphics 530
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See if downloading and installing the latest driver from Intel helps. I had some minor problems after installing the Creators Update that went away when I updated the driver for my graphics card.
The official download page: Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:See if downloading and installing the latest driver from Intel helps. I had some minor problems after installing the Creators Update that went away when I updated the driver for my graphics card.
The official download page: Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]
Thanks Hans. I will try this but this machine came with the Creators edition already installed and it worked fine until the latest Win 10 updates a couple days ago. Still I'll check it out.
Regards,
hlewton

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

hlewton:

This is all way above my 'pay grade'. However, from reading back over the posts, you seem to now have 5 computers all of which are/have suffered issues with desktop icons and/or power setting issues following installation of 1703? If that's correct, is there any possibility that they are not 'off the self' models, but have some aspects of custom build which might be an issue? Just a (layman's) thought! (probably not a very constructive one!)
Regards,
Keith

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Not sure at all what I'm talking about but the link says the driver is version 15.45.19.4670 and the driver installed now says it is version 21.20.16.4550 Driver Provider Intel Corporation so not sure what all this means.
Regards,
hlewton