Windows 10 Update Messing Up Desktop Icons

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Windows 10 Update Messing Up Desktop Icons

Post by JoeP »

To set the icon size just right click an empty area on the desktop, click on View, click on the icon size you want.
Joe

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

Congrats on the new PC.

The easiest method in my opinion, (assuming you have a mouse connected), is to click/tap on your desktop, press and hold the Ctrl key and roll the scroll wheel forward and backward until you have the size you want for your desktop icons, then release the Ctrl key. You may need to toggle Auto arrange icons and/or Auto align icons on and off to realign the icons on your desktop. For additional options, see this page.

In addition, this page has info on changing taskbar and File Explorer icon sizes too.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:To set the icon size just right click an empty area on the desktop, click on View, click on the icon size you want.
Thank you for that. I see there are 3 choices and I'll see which one is closest to what I like to use. I had forgotten all about that. I used to set them somewhere within the personalizing options but I think that all went away after Win 7.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:Hi,

Congrats on the new PC.

The easiest method in my opinion, (assuming you have a mouse connected), is to click/tap on your desktop, press and hold the Ctrl key and roll the scroll wheel forward and backward until you have the size you want for your desktop icons, then release the Ctrl key. You may need to toggle Auto arrange icons and/or Auto align icons on and off to realign the icons on your desktop. For additional options, see this page.

In addition, this page has info on changing taskbar and File Explorer icon sizes too.
WOW that is great information. Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Every search of the Internet I have found tells me that I can change the size of only the text in the screen or desktop by accessing the "Advanced Display Settings." I do not want to change the scale and that is all I can see. Where have they hidden the "Advanced Display Settings or is gone?" If so is there another way to only change the text size and not the scale? If it matters the icon size is set to "small" which is what I want but the text under them is a bit smaller than I like. Maybe there is a utility to download if MS has removed those features. Here is just 1 of the links telling me I should be able to do all the settings I want to do. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-make ... windows-10
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft has removed the Advanced Display Settings dialog from Windows 10 Creators Update (version 1703).

You can use Winaero Tweaker (free, but donations appreciated) to do what you want. See Change Icon Text Size in Windows 10 Creators Update.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Microsoft has removed the Advanced Display Settings dialog from Windows 10 Creators Update (version 1703).

You can use Winaero Tweaker (free, but donations appreciated) to do what you want. See Change Icon Text Size in Windows 10 Creators Update.
Thank you Hans and I thought that was the case with Win 10 Creators Update but I didn't think the Laptop I just got would have had that on it already but apparently it does. I checked the computers I know have that update on them and in the Properties I can't tell it has Win 10 Creators Update but I know it does since I had to OK its installation. So anyway the new laptop must also have it because that Advanced Settings option is not available. I will certainty try the link you gave me. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can check the version as follows:
Press the Windows key or click the Start button.
Type winver and press Enter.
S1706.png
Version 1507 is the first release of Windows 10 from July 2015.
Version 1511 is the Fall Update from November 2015.
Version 1607 is the Anniversary Update from July 2016.
Version 1703 is the Creators Update from April 2017 (it is named 1703 because it was originally slated for release in March of 2017).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks and yes it does already have it. Probably part of the reason right out of the box the desktop icons tried to be stubborn.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Let me ask 1 more question. This Winaero Tweaker does it only run when you want to use it to make adjustments or is it always running in that background because you used it to change settings? I am at its site and don't see that answered, at least not yet have I found it but I'm still looking. I am thinkink that this may depend on what is tweaked but not sure.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, Winaero Tweaker simply changes one or more registry settings (in this particular case, settings that are virtually impossible to edit manually). It doesn't have to run all the time.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

That Winaero Tweaker seems to work very well. I can't seem to find any setting that changes the font and appearance of Outlook Today or the folder names in Outlook. Would anyone know what setting I should be looking for to make those fonts larger?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Outlook Today is hard-coded; I don't think you can customize it.

In Outlook 2010 and 2013, you can change the font for the navigation pane by clicking Navigation Pane > Options... on the View tab of the ribbon, and then clicking the Font button in the options dialog.
In Outlook 2016, the Navigation Pane has been renamed to Folder Pane, and its font can no longer be changed. The Font button has been removed from the options dialog.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Hans for the reply. I'll quit knocking myself out looking for an option.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Not absolutely certain but may have found a solution to the original concern of this thread - Desktop icons not behaving as I wanted them to. Here is what I found.
It's not the 'align to grid' option - it's microsoft dang themes!!!

Unchecking the align to grid box is only a partial solution for Win 10 (or other versions).

The fix is at this link to stop the Desktop Themes from changing the icon locations -
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/preve ... windows-7/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If link not working, that content:
a) Right-click on the Desktop and choose Personalize
b) click on Themes
c) click on Desktop icon settings
d) in this next box, "uncheck the box" for "Allow themes to change desktop icons"
e) click "apply" OR "ok" and you're done

What microsoft has done, is make the themes take control of the icons automatically from the beginning.
INSTEAD, WE should have been given the choice whether to allow the themes to take control of the icons.

I say that because many people are not aware of where to even begin to solve this problem and t becomes FRACKIN' IRRITATING & ANNOYING in finding the solution (look at all the folks just on this site alone).
https://www.tenforums.com/general-suppo ... -them.html
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I hope this will work for you.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:I hope this will work for you.
Me too. Apparently many others are having similar problems.

As usual I have to ask a question. Is there a setting within this lounge that would allow me to view it with a larger font? I just checked the "User Control Panel" and found none. If not do you have any idea what setting I would have to change inside Winaero Tweaker to see these posts in a larger font? I have tried a few all to no avail.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Eileen's Lounge, like most discussion boards, does not have a separate setting for font size.

You can set the browser to a larger zoom percentage, for example by pressing Ctrl++ or by holding down the Ctrl button while using the scroll wheel on your mouse. This will affect all browser tabs that you open after that; you can reduce the zoom percentage by pressing Ctrl+- or holding down Ctrl and scrolling the mouse wheel the other way. You can reset zoom to 100% by pressing Ctrl+0.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you for that information. It seems to work well for me.
Regards,
hlewton