Edge Browser & GIFs

CData
3StarLounger

Edge Browser & GIFs

Post by CData »

Windows 10: one 1 PC only - when scrolling a web site - typically Twitter - a gif frame is seen/visible when it first enters the frame at bottom (let's say one is scrolling down) but as it comes into full screen then it goes black.

Other PCs with Win 10/Edge behave fine. It is just this 1 PC.

So while I think it is either a browser setting or security setting - I can't figure out which or where. So I'm pretty sure these are gif files as it actually says gif in the lower left corner for some reason. I suppose they could be a differing media file type but right now I don't think so (not sure how to double check that).

HansV
Administrator

Re: Edge Browser & GIFs

Post by HansV »

I don't see any setting in Edge that might cause this problem.

Is the video driver on that PC up-to-date?
Best wishes,
Hans

CData
3StarLounger

Post by CData »

ahhh video driver....never thought of that.... will give it a try

CData
3StarLounger

Post by CData »

Device Manager is saying driver is up to date.

But in the recent past you solved - or at least side stepped - a similar problem for me regarding Edge not working with Google Ads..... lots of people with this problem. Your suggestion to use IE instead worked.

So tried IE at twitter and all the gifs run fine. So now I think these must be related.

It seems in the dialog string on Edge & Google Ads over at the Microsoft developer site another user found a fix accidentally in pressing an F12 key (?) to trigger an option to reload page.....honestly don't remember if that is exactly correct number 12 or not....others reported that did work too...while Microsoft was never able to provide a solution... but since I had your IE idea I didn't follow on this suggestion - am just putting it out there in case others want to run with it ....

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks. F12 activates the Developer options pane. To reload a page in any browser, press F5.
Best wishes,
Hans

CData
3StarLounger

Post by CData »

Always appreciate your aid. Thanks. Am left with the question mark as to why just this 1 PC...... but whenever I have an immediate work-around then other tasks need to be dealt with and so I move on - - maybe some day this question will be answered.......

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Are you running the same version of Windows 10 on all PCs?

Do you have an Edge extensions installed?
Joe

CData
3StarLounger

Post by CData »

As it is a business environment I can only answer generally in not having the time to individually inspect each PC - but can definitely say that all are updated whenever Microsoft triggers the need for an update as part of the on/off process and so think it is safe to say they are all the same version of Win 10. Definitely the suspect PC in this case is up to date, as are a couple other PCs that do work with gifs okay that I sampled.

I assume an Edge extension is not a default and that one must actively install that and so I tend to believe that no Edge extensions are installed - in that Edge came with Win 10 when the upgrade was made from Win 7 for all PCs. It is possible that the end user installed an extension but they typically are not particularly techie or explorative. I suppose an extension may have been part of an app that they wanted more than their own initiative - such as Team Viewer or something like that - not all the PCs are uniform in this regard but overall they are very vanilla and don't have any funky/questionable apps, everything on the PCs is from well known suppliers.

I will go back to Google Ads - in that lots of people use it and there were a lot complaining that 1 of the tabs (the most important tab) that is suppose to display the hits/views count per web page would not render - - although other tabs were fine. There was no indication that it was a gif. Microsoft only would suggest a total re-install and Google would only suggest moving to Chrome. It was Hans that suggested IE which works fine. And the 1 participant signaled a fix involving use of an F key as I posted above.... I need to take the time to revisit that topic as the fix perhaps is here using that.