win 10 File History probs

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

win 10 File History probs

Post by Peter Kinross »

I had FH set to save onto a dedicated 3 TB USB drive. This worked wonderfully for about a year, but now, without any direction from me, the location I set isn’t being used by FH. It is using another (secret) location. I try to re-set that drive as the FH receptacle, but it says that:-
“This drive doesn’t have our most recent files. To restore those files, you’ll need to reselect the drive that you last used.”
Problem is is that nowhere does Win 10 tell one what drive is currently being used by FH. Typical Microsoft catch 22.
And the re-setting of the new FH receptacle is ignored!
How do I get the misdirected FH files back into the correct drive? (To do that I have to find that location.)
How do I change the FH drive back to where it should be?
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: win 10 File History probs

Post by JoeP »

Joe

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Joe. Tried that, ran the .bat file. No diff FH still not making copies of altered files that are in folders that are set to be backed up in FH.
I did a search for 'FileHistory' on 'This PC', hoping that that would show where the last few weeks of FH have been saved, but only found the old location. Seems strange as when I clicked on 'Restore files from a current backup' a few days ago, I was presented with a huge list of pic files that I had indeed altered, and that were not in the old (now new) location. Can't find that list now - even going back over days of so called FH history.
Pretty darned frustrating.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

:whisper: You could just use what I've been using for years... SyncBack Free.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Rudi. I've been using Goodsync for years. But both of these don't keep all versions of files like FileHistory does.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Where does Control Panel say that File History is saving backups?
Joe

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Would LOVE to know where Control Panel shows FH store location. Pretty sure it doesn't though.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you open Control Panel and go to System and Security | File History. It should at least tell you which drive is in use.
Joe

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Sorry Joe, it does give the drive. I was looking for the folder.

I was really hoping that someone in Lounge land would have a hint for me. FH is totally ignoring any file changes on my E: drive, has missed the last 5 days of file changes on my C: drive. Extremely frustrating.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Isn't there a File History folder on the drive? Can't you view the contents with File Explorer?
Joe

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Yep, I can see the FH folder. That's how I know that nothing is being backed up. Wierd eh?

Peter S
NewLounger

Post by Peter S »

Click on Settings; Update and Security; Backup; More Options; Scroll down to bottom of screen and click on See Advanced Settings; You should see the screen as attached:
Screen Shot 12-04-16 at 06.13 PM.JPG
Clicking "Advanced" provides more options.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core CPU; MSI X570-A PRO Mobo; Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 32GB RAM; 2TB Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. 1TB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; Nvidia GeForce TX 2060 Super Ventus Graphics Card (SLI); Microsoft 365 Home; Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2020 Premium, VMWare Workstation 15 Player. HP 1TB USB SSD External Backup Drive). Dell G-Sync 144Hz Monitor.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Peter. I did all that weeks ago.
FH has backed up some folders today, but not the one on my E: drive.

Peter S
NewLounger

Post by Peter S »

Peter Kinross wrote:Thanks Peter. I did all that weeks ago.
FH has backed up some folders today, but not the one on my E: drive.
Well, then I am afraid I am fresh out of ideas! :sad:
(My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core CPU; MSI X570-A PRO Mobo; Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 32GB RAM; 2TB Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. 1TB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; Nvidia GeForce TX 2060 Super Ventus Graphics Card (SLI); Microsoft 365 Home; Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2020 Premium, VMWare Workstation 15 Player. HP 1TB USB SSD External Backup Drive). Dell G-Sync 144Hz Monitor.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

SOLVED, but no idea why.
Weird! I moved 12 folders (27 GB) into a new folder ‘PicAlbum’ and another 5 folders (14 GB) into another new folder ‘ScreenSavers’, See below, and it worked. File History now working as it should, backing up everything I tell it to.
I have no idea why?
Anybody have any ideas?
Snap1.jpg
Snap2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

UN-SOLVED then SOLVED again (hopefully)
Renaming those folders worked, except for one sub folder. I kid you not. Out of the hundreds of folders this one was overlooked by FH. It was right at the bottom of the folder tree as were several other folders in the same parent folder. The others were backed up, this one was not. Grrrrr.
It's parent folder was called xTempImport. I removed the 'Temp' part of that parent folder name and viola FH backed up the sub folder contents.
But I am now extremely wary of File History - it seems very, very, very fragile. I will keep using it (I have invested in a 3 TB removable drive), but I will have to keep checking that it hasn't thrown a hissy fit.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I recommend you  check the Feedback Hub. There are quite a few entries relating to FH. You should upvote one or more which seem to be close to what you are experiencing. Microsoft really pays attention to the Feedback Hub and the more votes an issue gets the more attention it receives.
Joe

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Joe. What and where is the Feedback Hub?
In desperation I have posted this prob on the MS Community Forum. Is that the same thing? There was very little there re FH, and no help at all on the problem.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Feedback Hub is a built-in app in Windows 10 version 1607 (Anniversary Edition); if you're on the original release (1507) or Fall Update (1511) you can download it from Start menu > Store.
You'll find Feedback Hub in the Start menu.
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

I have just done that.
Thanks Hans