How to make hidden icons show on task bar

aekyall
4StarLounger

How to make hidden icons show on task bar

Post by aekyall »

I seem to remember that with Windows 7 one could select which task bar icons to show, either when active or all the time, or none of the time. Is there any way of achieving this in Windows 10?
I ask as one of my (now) hidden icons, Kasperski, was showing until Kasperski updated its program and now it only shows under hidden icons (I have to click on the 'up arrow' to access it, or any of the other hidden icons that seem to reside there. I can find no tick-box in Kasperski settings that would appear to control this option. Is there a Windows setting that I haven't found, perhaps?
I have tried rebooting.
Capture.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: How to make hidden icons show on task bar

Post by JoeP »

Go to Settings |Personalization | Taskbar. Scroll down in the right pane. Click on "Select which icon appear on the Taskbar". Make changes as you need.
Joe

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I don't have Windows 10 so I cannot confirm this, but it's worth a try (as a shortcut). In Windows 7 one can use drag and drop to determine which icons permanently show in the try. It's just a matter of explicitly dragging them onto the tray.

See the screenshot in this post.

(If it does not work in Windows 10...just ignore the suggestion).
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks Joe. Worked a treat - Another learning curve ticked off!! :chocciebar:
Regards,
Keith

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks for suggestion Rudi. Unfortunately, that appears to be a 'no go' in Windows 10. But - :chocciebar: - nevertheless for the suggestion.
Regards,
Keith

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Some more reading about this confirms.
LifeHacker wrote:In Windows 7 and 8, you could customize icons in the “system tray” to permanently show on the taskbar, or hide them away in the pop-up drawer. These options have moved in Windows 10.

Previously, you could click the “Customize” button at the bottom of the system tray popup. In Windows 10, you have to right-click on the Taskbar, choose Properties, and then click the Customize button.

From here, click “Select which icons appear on the taskbar”. Now you can switch an app to “on” to permanently show it on the right-hand side of the taskbar. You can also move items like Network and Volume to the system tray popup. You can also select “Turn System Icons On or Off” from the original Customize screen to remove icons like Volume or Notifications entirely.

Strangely, these options aren’t as flexible as they were in Windows 7 or 8—there’s no “Show Only Notifications” option like there was before—but at least most of the main options are still available. They’ve just moved.
Regards,
Rudi

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Capture.GIF
Rudi,
What Lifehacker indictes doesn't work (at least for me). As you'll see from the screen shot, right-clicking on the task bar doesn't show any avenue to 'properties' and thus onward - but it does show 'settings' which is the way JoeP pointed to. Perhaps what Lifehacker indicated was an option in a pre-release build, or possibly in the pre the anniversary (1511) update? Certainly what he says about the option not being as flexible as in Windows 7/8 holds good. Be interesting to see if anyone with W10 gets different options to me when right clicking on the task bar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I can drag an icon from the box containing hidden icons onto the task bar in Windows 10 just as I could in Windows 7!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

aekyall wrote:What Lifehacker indictes doesn't work (at least for me). As you'll see from the screen shot, right-clicking on the task bar doesn't show any avenue to 'properties' and thus onward - but it does show 'settings' which is the way JoeP pointed to. Perhaps what Lifehacker indicated was an option in a pre-release build, or possibly in the pre the anniversary (1511) update? Certainly what he says about the option not being as flexible as in Windows 7/8 holds good. Be interesting to see if anyone with W10 gets different options to me when right clicking on the task bar.
Sorry Keith, my post was probably a bit unclear. I was actually agreeing with your earlier conclusion that Windows 10 appeared to be a "no-go". The quote I posted mentions that Windows 10 works very differently to Win7 and Win8 (of which I was unaware). However, John has now thrown a spanner in the works with his confirmation that the drag and drop option apparently is available?

(BTW: There is no right clicking needed in the drag and drop scenario. Simply open the small window containing the hidden icons, and drag one to the tray where the visible icons are using your normal left mouse button.)
Regards,
Rudi

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

In my experience you have to pay close attention to the Windows 10 build to which directions apply. Windows 10 has and is still evolving the UI particularly as more and more Control Panel functionality is taken over in Settings. Then Microsoft makes even further changes once they get telemetry data on how Settings is used.
Joe

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

John/Rudi,
Dragging an icon from the 'hidden icon' area and dropping it into the visible icon notification area works for me!! Did it and then checked the setting via the route that JoeP indicated originally (settings: personalisation, etc) - in the option 'select which icons appear on the task bar' it showed the icon tab had switched from off to on. :thankyou:
Regards,
Keith

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX for the feedback. Know I know too. :cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Know know! :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

So that's where that stray "K" went to! What do you now! :grin:
Regards,
Rudi