Win 10 Windows Explorer Sort

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Win 10 Windows Explorer Sort

Post by hlewton »

In Windows 10 I have always been able to click on my shortcut for Windows Explorer and it opened in Documents using this shortcut: C:\Windows\explorer.exe /e."Me" It opened with the most recent files sorted at the top and all the folders listed after the last file in the Documents folder. I made absolutely no change to my computer. As a matter of fact it was off for 2 days and when I turned it back on today and opened Windows Explorer all the folders are now at the top of the list. I can sort them by date but that only still shows the files I am interested in seeing after the complete list of folders. Any idea what could have changed and how I can get it back to what it was with the listing of most recent files at the top of the Windows Explorer when it opens? My other two Win 10 machines are still working as I want them to and the shortcut is the same except with different names in place of the “Me” of course.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Win 10 Windows Explorer Sort

Post by HansV »

Try sorting by Date Modified instead of by Date.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I think I fixed it. I have NO idea how one of the columns I use in Windows Explorer got changed but it did. The column "Date Modified" got changed to "Date" and that caused all the trouble. I deleted "Date" column and put "Date Modified" column back in place, sorted it by most recent at the top and all seems to be well.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Try sorting by Date Modified instead of by Date.
LOL Hans I think we posted at the same time and I believe you are right. Please see my last post. I really wish I knew how these thing happen without human intervention. Thanks for the help.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK something strange is happening. I got an email notification on this subject from John Gray. I followed the link, signed in, and tried to view his post here and it does not show up. I will copy it and post it below but wondering why it would not be here.
Topic: Win 10 Windows Explorer Sort
Author: John Gray
hlewton wrote:In Windows 10 I have always been able to click on my shortcut for Windows Explorer and it opened in Documents using this
shortcut: C:Windowsexplorer.exe /e."Me"
Just wondering whether you have a typo there?

I would have put C:Windowsexplorer.exe /e,"Me" with a command after the /e _____________________________________________________________________
No there is no typo. It is an (/e. "Me") The "Me" is the name of the computer when I click the start menu but I only used "Me" as a substitute for my first name which is the computer name. I actually copied the property of the shortcut used to bring up Windows Explorer.

Now the other questions this brings to mind is what command would you have put after the "/e." ? And would you have left the period out after the "e" and used a comma?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

John deleted his reply, but the notification had already been sent.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I have spend considerable time searching for an answer and came up empty, so I will try here. My Windows Explorer is still working the way I want it and Hans came up with the answer of using the column of Date Modified instead of Date which makes it work. However, Date Modified is what it always was in the past and when it started acting up I have no idea how that column was removed and replaced with Date. I know I didn't not do it, at least consciously, and am 99.99 % sure I did not do it accidentally either. I had absolutely no reason to mess with Windows Explorer until it started acting up. So my question is does anyone have any idea how that column of Date Modified was replaced by the column Date?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm sorry - I have no idea...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans but believe me you're not alone. I can't find anything even close to an explanation.

I remember back in the early days when computers were making there presence known in industry I had to work with programmers both with computer programs and programmable controllers programs. I still remember one of those programmers telling me that it may be a bit difficult to get the exact action we wanted programmed but once the computer was programmed it would always perform the same. Wish I knew where he was today. LOL
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I help several people with their machines and two them are always dragging a column from their File Explorer or their email listing. They have done this more when they are changing the sort from old -new to new-old.
It is very easily done and one may not even see it for a day or two.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Dave.
Regards,
hlewton