WARNING: Be Prepared for a lot of Questions about Win10

BobH
UraniumLounger

WARNING: Be Prepared for a lot of Questions about Win10

Post by BobH »

Having posted due notice in the post subject . . .

I have been up and running with a browser for only a few hours but it seems I picked up some malware already. As I was changing some Windows settings (single click file collection and others), I suddenly got a BSOD with a flashing panel and klaxon saying that I had a firefox Trojan demanding my UID and PW. I shut fx down using task manager and not come to you via edge; however, I do not know if if have adequate antivirus (native Win10 settings) protection. After struggling a bit with the new interface to system settings, I finally found a panel for antivirus but it shows 'windows defender' (I think) and does not give a hit for MSE.

Has the name changed?

:ranton:I noticed, too, that upon choosing the Settings interface, there is not mention of security which I find rather odd and a bit off-putting. When will Microsofat learn that it is a significant issue to be addressed FRONT AND CENTER even ahead of all their touchy-feely user reassurance. With damned near every household having at last 1 system (about 8 gen purp systems for just us 2 old folks), you would think that Redmund would get over its tender feelings and hubris and treat their users as the mindful folks they are! :rantoff:

more to come, I'm sure ...
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: WARNING: Be Prepared for a lot of Questions about Win10

Post by JoeP »

With Windows 10 Microsoft has gone back to the Windows Defender name.

When you open Settings look at the last group "Update and Security".
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

^^^
Thanks, Joe!!!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

More Questions

Post by BobH »

Before starting this upgrade, when I looked at my available networks, I saw both a 2.4gHz and 5gHz signals as being available connections. I've done nothing to my router and WAP. The only change I'm aware of (which means I might have changed something that it WASN'T aware of) is the change in the desktop to create the Win 10 boot partition and activate it.

What would make the existence of the 5g network disappear?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,

IMO, it might be a driver incompatibility issue? It might be necessary to download the latest drivers from the router manufacturer and install these.

See this thread: 5Ghz wifi network Disappearing after updating to Win10 and the reply by Antony, and also the link in this thread to here.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.