Weird Update Experience

CData
3StarLounger

Weird Update Experience

Post by CData »

weekend of July 2 - using laptop which has been Win 10 for at least half a year - it tells me it wants to update Win 10. I proceed cause although I know it takes awhile sometimes - I have no urgent need for the laptop on the weekend plus the Laptop/wireless router are close together for optimal speed - - so I go for it. It hangs along the way... I keep an eye on it all afternoon and no progress after like 33%.... router is working fine for other PCs....let it go overnight.... the next morning - still stuck. So I turn it off. Really got no choice at this point. Now when it comes on all I get is a dark screen - no boot. Try that a couple times....let it sit for an hour or so...blank dark screen.

next I try a start holding F8. No change. next I try as start holding Shift+F8 - and things start cooking and it tells me it is going to fix. It cooks for awhile and then provides me a blue screen with an unhappy face icon (at least I think that is what it was) and statements that there is a problem with the computer. Looks definitely like a legit Win 10 screen that I've never seen before.

At this point I should probably point out that I have no idea what I'm doing. I design databases pretty well - but really not into the operating system code.

I again try shift+F8 start and this time it tells me it is going to roll back.....and after a lot of cooking it does!! yes!... now admittedly there was a long, very long boot - the first time I restarted and that included an extended dark screen period where I wasn't sure it would come back to life - - but now all is well. Much to my surprise and confusion.... it also gave me the 'Welcome to Edge' tour as if I was new to Win 10 which was a little weird.

AND - - I now have a new icon/shortcut on my desk top for Win 10 upgrade - - the property of which is:
" C:\Windows10Upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe /ClientID "Win10China:VNL:Hadron3:{}" "

I have at least 3 other Win 10 machines - none of which wanted to be upgraded within the last week.. Any advice/insight/education as to what is this situation?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Weird Update Experience

Post by HansV »

It looks like you now have the original release of Windows 10 (the July 2015 one) again, and it wants you to update to the November 2015 version. You could try to use the upgrader, or follow the instructions by Andre da Costa in Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant keeps coming back.
Best wishes,
Hans

CData
3StarLounger

Post by CData »

ay carumba

CData
3StarLounger

Post by CData »

so just to close this one out.... lots of people have this experience or just hanging. What I did is return to the office. Plug in the Ethernet cord into the laptop (this is a big engineering laptop with gobs of power and weighs a ton). Then re-initiated the Window Update. It cooked for ~5 hours but finally completed the update - - and I was introduced to Cortana.

I don't get it. prior was wireless and in a more rural location though browsing in general there is fine. maybe the wireless is 10x slower so I just didn't wait long enough. but all-in-all this is a bad scene and MS really has to design a more communicative experience. when it works it is unbelievably slow so that you think it is hung....when it doesn't work there is no meaningful feedback as part of the user experience.....

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

It seems the Microsoft developers assume that everyone has gigabit Ethernet access all the time. It reminds me of the early days of Windows, when everyone had 286 processors or slower, but Windows ran like a snail on anything less than a 386.

CData
3StarLounger

Post by CData »

you know I am pro Microsoft and yet it seems like there is missing a feedback loop in terms of some real world aspects; like a more communicative download / update in this example where they could tell us it is hung or not ..... it seems like they don't even clock/time the process and have any routine to recognize when it is taking a real long time and do some self diagnostics of what is going on..... There use to be a huge focus on the Out Of The Box Experience back in the CD days so that installs would be smooth - - that same emphasis is needed for the update experience..... it has a huge impact on user perception.....