Reminder if you are late on the bandwagon...

Rudi
gamma jay

Reminder if you are late on the bandwagon...

Post by Rudi »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Reminder if you are late on the bandwagon...

Post by Claude »

Can you post some reasons why people, who's computers are doing fine, like me for example, why they should upgrade, please.
Cheers, Claude.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

It's not a matter of upgrading now... its a matter of being miserly and securing a FREE, valid and legitimate ISO copy on disc or thumb drive for later installation. You can always upgrade 10 years from now if you want. I cannot supply reasons why you might want to upgrade unless you find some individual tool or two in Win 10 that you just utterly cannot live without.
Regards,
Rudi

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Good info, thanks Rudi.
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you're satisfied with Windows 7 or 8.1, there is no pressing need to upgrade to Windows 10 now, apart from it being free.
On the other hand, mainstream support for Windows 7 has already ended, so it won't be updated any more, apart from security updates.
Also, Microsoft has already stopped selling the retail versions of Windows 7 and 8.1, and will stop selling it to OEMs on October 31, 2016.

I've been using Windows 10 since it was officially released in July last year, and it works well for me. It's not perfect, but Windows 7 and 8.1 aren't perfect either. Startup and shutdown is very fast - much faster than Windows 7.
And I don't have to jump through hoops to keep my PC from being upgraded to Windows 10... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:And I don't have to jump through hoops to keep my PC from being upgraded to Windows 10...
LOL... that's a main selling point on its own!
Regards,
Rudi

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Claude wrote:Can you post some reasons why people, who's computers are doing fine, like me for example, why they should upgrade, please.
How about a Payout of $10,000 for Windows 10 update, for example?
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I upgraded two PCs to Windows 10 and they are both running fine.
I have kept my laptop on Windows 7 because it probably only has a year or two of useful life and it works very well at the moment.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

We have 4 Windows 7 machines and 1 8.1. Then I have a Windows 10 OEM machine.
We will not be upgrading to 10 on any of them free or otherwise.
When these machines get replaced they will be with a Windows 10 machine and not until.

I have seen to many machines not function well with 10, so I do not want to waste our time.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I've seen the opposite of DaveA. All I've seen is machines that are performing equally as well if not better than the prior OS (Win7 or 8.1). That includes desktops, laptops, surface pro 3, small Dell tablet. BUT, if someone chooses to stay on their current OS because the machine is running well for them that is just fine.

I have seen reports of upgrades that have not been successful or that have been rolled back shortly after the upgrade completed. I'd certainly just leave those systems alone. Most of the time after trying some well known work arounds it isn't worth the trouble to figure out what is going on.
Joe

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

HansV wrote:And I don't have to jump through hoops to keep my PC from being upgraded to Windows 10... :evilgrin:
And here is where I have trouble. I have done my best to get an upgrade. I have made sure that all my updates have been installed on my Windows 7 box but that free upgrade thing never shows up in my taskbar. Is there something I am missing?
Who will you Inspire today?

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

MS upgraded the wife's laptop without her permission and now it's much slower, harder for her to use and generally a pain in the ____ where the prior OS, Win 7, worked just fine. I'm about a half-day's free time from wiping Windows and loading a Linux distro.

She primarily uses the PC for browsing, Amazon Prime watching/reading, with occasional document work and I've loaded LibraOffice to handle that. Everything would be fine with the conversion except for one program she uses occasionally for scrapbooking and photo album work. I don't have much hope for it working in WINE emulation, otherwise ....

So, to each his own. Now if only Microsoft would agree ... :groan:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Timelord wrote:
HansV wrote:And I don't have to jump through hoops to keep my PC from being upgraded to Windows 10... :evilgrin:
And here is where I have trouble. I have done my best to get an upgrade. I have made sure that all my updates have been installed on my Windows 7 box but that free upgrade thing never shows up in my taskbar. Is there something I am missing?
If you really want to go to Win 10, this is one of many places to DL an ISO copy.

Have Fun!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I've just restored to windows 8.1 after a few days of 10-ing around. All is well again. Under 10, streaming of video was horribly unreliable, constant interruptions of the stream, no matter what source, horrible video quality etc etc.

Back on 8.1, everything is back to normal. Phew :thumbup:
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Did you check the video settings? I had the same problem when I upgraded. It turned out that Windows 10 initially didn't recognize my video card, so it used the mediocre integrated video on the motherboard. Once I updated the driver for the video card, the card was recognized and everything worked well.
Best wishes,
Hans

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Would that cause constant dropouts in streaming ?
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Not sure, but I suspect it would affect streaming too.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Last year, about this time, I tried to upgrade this desktop system to Win10 with disastrous results from which I have not yet fully recovered. I did not try to do a dual boot at the time, but would like to get on 'the bandwagon' and will install Win10 as a dual boot OS before the end of the month.

Anyone have any tried and true methods for doing a dual boot install with Win 7 beside Win 10?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Last year, about this time, I tried to upgrade this desktop system to Win10 with disastrous results from which I have not yet fully recovered. I did not try to do a dual boot at the time, but would like to get on 'the bandwagon' and will install Win10 as a dual boot OS before the end of the month.

Anyone have any tried and true methods for doing a dual boot install with Win 7 beside Win 10?
Bob,
I've had the two systems in dual boot since it was offered, even though I don't go into Win 10 that often, it's there if I want.
There are a lot of sites that show the method but this is one in detail:
Dual Boot

In brief.
How to dual boot Windows:
1. Create a new partition on your hard drive using the Windows Disk Management Utility.
2. Place the DVD or USB containing the new version of Windows in your PC, then reboot the machine.
3. Install Windows 10, being sure to select the Custom option.

Note. Just create the new partition of decent size, if you have the room.
I used 100gigs.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Bob!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs