Update a recovery drive?

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Update a recovery drive?

Post by ErikJan »

I created a recovery drive (using a USB thumb-drive) after I install Win10 many months back.

In the meantime, we are several builds (and many updates) further, is there a need to recreate these files (the recovery drive) as a result of these system changes?

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Update a recovery drive?

Post by JoeP »

Yes, if you anticipate using it to reinstall Windows. I recreate mine regularly but I'm also running Insider Preview builds.

Joe
Joe

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Well... I do image my system regularly (using Acronis True Image but I'm thinking about Windows backup now... ATI is very bloated the last few years and all I need is an image for disaster recovery) so a full recovery will be taken care of through that. I thought this one might help startup failure problems... (but maybe I'm wrong)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

ErikJan wrote:Well... I do image my system regularly (using Acronis True Image but I'm thinking about Windows backup now... ATI is very bloated the last few years and all I need is an image for disaster recovery) so a full recovery will be taken care of through that. I thought this one might help startup failure problems... (but maybe I'm wrong)
I agree with Joe to recreate an up to date recovery backup whenever major changes are made.

[I tend to agree with you about ATI getting rather outsized. I'm on the TI Beta team again for 2017 and I have already made two suggestions regarding this. Don't know yet if it will do much good tho] We will see.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

A recovery drive can help with startup problems. I've never tried using one on a system that is one or more builds/updates ahead of the recovery drive itself.

Joe
Joe

ErikJan
BronzeLounger

Post by ErikJan »

OK, so I'll have to update my recovery sets a couple times / year (as MS deploys new builds). The last one was November if I recall and the next one is a few weeks from now, right?

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Yes, the last release for the general public was November 2015. Since then there have been monthly updates. The next general release is being called the Anniversary update. Although no specific date has been announced all the tech press seem to expect it on or about July 29, 2016 (or the one year anniversary of the first general release).
Joe

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Maybe I am mistaken but aren't there two types of media?

1) The Windows 10 Installation Disk created by the Media Creation Tool and,
2) The Repair (Recovery) tool created from within the Windows 10 environment.

The first allowing a fresh install of the o/s while the second performs repair functions.

My procedure has been to burn DVDs for each of the two types after a cumulative update has been released and installed. Maybe "overkill" but I am ready! :grin:

As a matter of interest, when I examine the DVD created by the Media Creation Tool function, it appears that 90+% of the DVD contains "burned" files. The repair DVD appears to only have about 10% of the surface burned.
Regards,
Bob

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The repair DVD will have much more burned if you choose to include system files.
Joe

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

JoeP wrote:The repair DVD will have much more burned if you choose to include system files.
There was no option to add system files to the repair DVD. :shrug:
Regards,
Bob

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you go to Control Panel and type "recovery" in the search box, click on "create a recovery drive". On the first screen there should be a check box to include system files.
Joe

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

JoeP wrote:If you go to Control Panel and type "recovery" in the search box, click on "create a recovery drive". On the first screen there should be a check box to include system files.
I had originally used the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) component in Windows 10 to create the repair DVD, which did not have an option to include the system files.

I followed your suggestion to get at a different area of the Control Panel and the systems file check box was there. I ran the process, which took one heck of a time to amass the needed information. Alas, it would only allow burning the information to a USB drive... 8GB needed. Sort of too large for a 4.7GB DVD. I decided to abandon that approach.
RecoveryDrive.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob