Syncing 2 desktops in 2 different locations

hession
NewLounger

Syncing 2 desktops in 2 different locations

Post by hession »

I alternate between two home office locations, & want to ensure work I've done on machine #1 in location #1 is automatically updated on machine #2 in location #2, & vice versa

For confidentiality reasons, I do not want to store client files on some 3rd party cloud server.

If I buy a Seagate personal cloud box, connect it to my wifi router in location #1, using W10's Sync Center, I am wondering whether I can achieve the above, please?

If so, exactly how will this work, I wonder? When I return to location #2, will I find machine #2 automatically up to date with work I've just done on machine #1 - & vice versa, & so on?

I'd be very grateful if anyone has actually done this, & can explain exactly what I need to do - & any short comings. Many thanks in advance.

Colin

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Syncing 2 desktops in 2 different locations

Post by Rudi »

I won't claim that the following will answer your query, but you could consider using a backup app like SyncBack (which I use almost every day) and rely on the feature it has called mirror backups. You can create several profiles to backup directories on PC#1 and write it to an external hardrive. When you get to PC#2, reverse backup the harddrive to your PC with a mirror backup, which syncs all the changes...deleting, updating and creating new files that were deleted, updated and created on PC#1.

Just my :2cents:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hession
NewLounger

Post by hession »

Thanks, but a tad too complicated, frankly.....am well aware of this sort of work-around, but am keen to know whether Sync Center just might have a short-cut solution

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Googling "offline equivalent of Dropbox", I found an article that recommends BitTorrent Sync. Since I haven't used it myself, I'll only say that it looks like it's worth investigating.

hession
NewLounger

Post by hession »

Thanks

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hession wrote:Thanks, but a tad too complicated, frankly...
For what it's worth, what Rudi suggests is how I mange my pictures on my desktop and my netbook. Mirror desktop to ext HDD, Mirror ext HDD to netbook. Takes only a few clicks and a few minutes for each mirror, using SyncbackFree.

Ken