Cleaning up from April 2016 upgrade - Part 2

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Cleaning up from April 2016 upgrade - Part 2

Post by BobArch2 »

Second part of the cleanup process. There is a folder named ESD that contains 966 files occupying 3.6GB of disk space on the system drive.
ESD.gif
Research indicates that this folder is used when one wants to reset the environment back to the initial upgrade position. Since I have separate ShadowProtect backup files before and after my Win10 upgrade, the ESD folder and its contents are not really required, IMHO.

Has anyone deleted their ESD folder and if so, have you incurred any problems?

Thanks for any and all input...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cleaning up from April 2016 upgrade - Part 2

Post by HansV »

Yes, you can safely delete the ESD folder in your situation.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Yes, you can safely delete the ESD folder in your situation.
Thanks Hans!

By way of interest, the ESD folder came to my attention when I reviewed the results of my daily incremental backups last night. My system drive was shown as having backed up 3.5GB of data when usually the daily backups of that drive are well under 1GB. I mounted the daily incremental backup and scanned the data and saw that the ESD folder had been backed up. Why? I have no idea since there was no activity on that folder. I even checked out the dates on each of the files and folder within ESD and there was no recorded change since the main file was created in April. Things that go bump-in-the-dark. :laugh:

Thanks again...
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

The ESD folder has been safely copied to an external backup drive and deleted from the system drive. Why the added precaution of backing it up? It's the 13th of the month, albeit not a Friday!!! :hushmouth:
Regards,
Bob