Windows 10 and drivers

Wendell
4StarLounger

Windows 10 and drivers

Post by Wendell »

For quite some time I have been having random BSOD on my Win7 Pro desktop, and for whatever reason, I have not been offered the Win10 upgrade. This is a machine circa 2012 with a 3.4GHz i7-2600 processor, 16GB of RAM and a 2TB RAID array. My question is should I try to upgrade to the latest drivers for all of the hardware before I attempt to upgrade to Win10, or should I just go ahead and let Win10 decide on what drivers to use?

If the answer is to upgrade the drivers first, then what are members opinions of software such as DriverDetective and DriverTuner, and what would you recommend? I've previously used the Intel Driver Update Utility, but the new version says I am current. The apps mentioned both indicate I need to upgrade the RAM driver....

Worried....
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Re: Windows 10 and drivers

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Prior to Windows 10 I found DriverMax very useful and reliable. But since the upgrade I haven't used it as I have had no driver problems! http://www.drivermax.com/

Wendell
4StarLounger

Re: Windows 10 and drivers

Post by Wendell »

Well, so far the Win10 upgrade has been great fun - zero for 7 thus far. It gets to the point of actually copying the files and then blows up with an error message and then rolls back to Win7. Either I have a RAM problem, a driver problem, or there is a suggestion in some of the forums that having a RAID array causes problems. I'll post the the details on a MS forum and see what the folks there can suggest - the setup log is 12MB and mostly incomprehensible, while the error log shows numerous errors from the point where the setup actually begins - again undecipherable.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!