Problem when upgrading to Windows 10

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Problem when upgrading to Windows 10

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I am having a problem with my laptop after updating to Windows 10 from Windows 8. From what I could tell it completed the download, installed the upgrade, then installed updates (this took like 8 hours), then on the last restart the computer would come on I would sign in and then the screen would go blank with no Desktop or Icons. I can view and move my curser and the screen has a light blue tent. I can select Ctrl/Alt/Delete to go to Task Manager and or shut down. I have tried to restart a couple times, but no change. Anyone have any suggestions

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Problem when upgrading to Windows 10

Post by DaveA »

It would help if you were to post the system spec's
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thanks Dave
I’m unable to view all the specs, but here’s what I do know it’s an HP 2000 Notebook PC with an Intel Celeron processor (not sure of the speed)

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I would contact HP as they have a lot of online support for this model and Windows 10.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

kwvh
3StarLounger

Post by kwvh »

So thanks to a new screen offering windows 10, which we did not and do not want, our pc's got "upgraded". I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other, except that we are very happy with windows 7.

So after the Windows 10 comes up, we get message that our microsoft office 2010 is not validated. Ok, I play along and reenter my verification key. seems to work. Shutdown Word, restart computer. Open Word and get same message. After 2 days, I discover that I can roll system back to Windows 7.

I go through that and now not only is my Office 2010 not "genuine" neither is my Windows 7. How can that be?

Anyone else experience this "opportunity for improvement"?

Thanks,

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

kwvh wrote:So thanks to a new screen offering windows 10, which we did not and do not want, our pc's got "upgraded". I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other, except that we are very happy with windows 7.

So after the Windows 10 comes up, we get message that our microsoft office 2010 is not validated. Ok, I play along and reenter my verification key. seems to work. Shutdown Word, restart computer. Open Word and get same message. After 2 days, I discover that I can roll system back to Windows 7.

I go through that and now not only is my Office 2010 not "genuine" neither is my Windows 7. How can that be?

Anyone else experience this "opportunity for improvement"?

Thanks,

Ken
Ken,
You might want to check some of the things I ran onto when "updating" to Win 10 starting HERE.
It may not be the exact situation as yours but it sure did invalidate my Win 7 for a while.
Get in touch with Microsoft support and hopefully they won't insist that you buy another copy of Win 7, as they did to me!!!
I think the key is to insist on having your problem kicked up to the next level of support and be emphatic that they correct your current problem.
I have had both Win 7 and 10 working OK in dual boot for some time now but I rarely go into the Win 10 OS unless I want to get upset once again. Some day I'll get back in there and give it another chance. For now, I'll hang in with Win 7 for as long as I can. Good luck!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.