Win 10, Windows Defender & Spybot

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Win 10, Windows Defender & Spybot

Post by hlewton »

Not sure exactly what is happening but on two of my Win 10 machines some programs seemed to have disappeared since the latest Windows updates. I really am not 100% certain that is when they disappeared but on one computer both Ccleaner and Spybot Search & Destroy disappeared. That was on the computer using Windows Defender as the anti-virus protection. On the other computer using Vipre anti-virus program only Ccleaner disappeared. On both machines I was able to get Ccleaner back and functional so far. On the machine using Windows Defender Spybot seems to be causing a conflict with Windows Defender and disabling it. Even though in the settings it doesn’t show it is disabled there is a red x through it on the systray icon and a warning dialog box pops up saying I am not protected. What I have noticed is that on my machine where Spybot is function as it should its version is 2.5 and I cannot find that version to download and install. The only version I can find on the WEB seems to be 2.4.

So any suggestions where I can get version 2.5 of Spybot and how to once again make it work with Windows Defender? It always worked before until I just noticed it was missing and tried to reinstall it.

BTW if you’re familiar with that Post Win 10 installation shortcut on the desktop that is supposed to install Spybot it does not seem to work. Couldn’t get it to work on any machine so I have been uninstalling Spybot, downloading, and then reinstalling it. Worked well until today.

Thanks for any help.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Win 10, Windows Defender & Spybot

Post by HansV »

The upgrade process may decide that a program is not 100% compatible with Windows 10 and remove it. Sometimes this is not correct.

I recently tried Spybot Search & Destroy, and it didn't work together with Windows Defender, so I removed it. I'd recommend using the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware instead. See https://www.malwarebytes.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Win 10, Windows Defender & Spybot

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans I already use that program. It must have been a windows update that uninstalled it because I have been running them together for almost 2 months now on these machines. Then again still not sure when Spybot disappeared since I usually only run it about everyother week.
Regards,
hlewton