Anybody using Wifi Calling?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Anybody using Wifi Calling?

Post by BobH »

I just discovered that my cell phone carrier (AT&T) supports what Apple calls Wifi Calling on my iPhone 6. As I understand it, the phone uses any active wifi connection first to place calls via the Internet; and uses regular cell tower access if there is no wifi connection extant. If the Data option is On on my iPhone, all calls will go via the Internet but connect time is charged against my data usage plan. By turning the Cellular data function on my iPhone off, I avoid this; however, if I'm at any wifi guest connection my calls go out and come in via the Internet for free.

The functionality is much like Skype and other app based voice connections (VoIP) except that all your contacts, distinctive ring tones, etc that exist on your smart phone work without having to install an app and update it with your data.

Does anyone else here use this feature? Do I understand it correctly? Are there any other 'gotchas' that I should know about?

How about you, Viking Bob?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Anybody using Wifi Calling?

Post by HansV »

I don't think Viking33 has a smartphone...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Whoops!!

I forgot about that but remember that he was in the communications field.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Whoops!!

I forgot about that but remember that he was in the communications field.
Sorry to be so slow in responding, Bob. Hans is right, no "smartphone" for this guy.
Decided that if the device uses the term smartphone, it should be just that....a phone.
Afraid I haven't kept up with the latest technology for those things either. :sad:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, VB! Have you become a Luddite? :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Thanks, VB! Have you become a Luddite? :flee:
NO, not at all. :ranton: I guess I just have a extreme dislike for today's terrible obsession for must having those things in their hands at ALL times. If that makes me a Luddite, then maybe I've crossed the line for carrying the title.
I certainly do not object to modern technology and the many useful things that a "smartphone" can do but Please. please let me have some privacy and non dependency on those little boxes. :rantoff:
Looks like you have hit my hot button! :grin:
BOB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Sorry, Bob! Didn't mean to raise your blood pressure with my little jibe.

I agree about the dependency issue. I have to chide my daughter quite often because she spends more time looking at her smartphone when she's visiting than she does talking with us. I have mine because she gave it to me. The camera is what I think is its best feature after its primary purpose for calls.

Any update on your son's opus for this year?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Sorry, Bob! Didn't mean to raise your blood pressure with my little jibe.

I agree about the dependency issue. I have to chide my daughter quite often because she spends more time looking at her smartphone when she's visiting than she does talking with us. I have mine because she gave it to me. The camera is what I think is its best feature after its primary purpose for calls.

Any update on your son's opus for this year?
Not a problem, Bob. AS I said, that seems to be a hot button for me.
I like to think that I have contributed just a tiny bit to todays technology. Think Laptops and large Corporate intra communications main frames. Litton Industries. There, I've sprained my arm patting my back. :grin:

Rob's annual project is well under way and from what I've seen and heard it is going to be another winner this year. I believe he has a December 12 deadline for completion and getting it over to the Manor Hall for showing, I expect pics to be sent to me around that time, so will post then ASAP. Very proud as usua! :clapping: :cheers: :chocciebar: :fanfare:
BOB

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

viking33 wrote:... I guess I just have a extreme dislike for today's terrible obsession for must having those things in their hands at ALL times ...
We went out for dinner last night, on the table next door, not a single phone to be seen. I felt like getting up and patting them on their backs or even just take a photo of the event. Alas, that would have made me get my phone out. :flee:

Oh yes, every other table in the place had at least one diner staring at their phone. :sad:
Cheers, Claude.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Claude wrote:
viking33 wrote:... I guess I just have a extreme dislike for today's terrible obsession for must having those things in their hands at ALL times ...
We went out for dinner last night, on the table next door, not a single phone to be seen. I felt like getting up and patting them on their backs or even just take a photo of the event. Alas, that would have made me get my phone out. :flee:

Oh yes, every other table in the place had at least one diner staring at their phone. :sad:
It has to be a worldwide affliction, Claude.
Blows in on the prevailing winds. :groan:
BOB

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Claude wrote:Oh yes, every other table in the place had at least one diner staring at their phone. :sad:
Moving further away from topic. :grin: I see it as a litmus test; when, where and how people use mobile phones.

At the Nobel Banquet a couple of years ago ...
20181211.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.