iPhone 6S 3-D touch tip...

Rudi
gamma jay

iPhone 6S 3-D touch tip...

Post by Rudi »

I use 3-D touch a lot on my phone, but I never knew about this VERY handy tip learned from this webpage...

6. Cursor control

When typing on your iPhone's keyboard, it can be difficult to move the cursor to a specific spot to correct a typo. With 3D Touch, it's painlessly easy. Instead of fussing with the magnifier you can call up by tapping and holding on the text you are typing, just press down anywhere on the onscreen keyboard to gray out the keys and turn the keyboard into a touch pad you can then use to move the cursor easily and accurately to your desired spot.

This tip is REALLY great! :clapping:

BTW: If you iOS9 running on an iPhone 6 (not the "s") or all versions of iPhone 5, you can control the cursor with two-finger gestures. Read further down the thread for details...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re: iPhone 6 3-D touch tip...

Post by Skitterbug »

Rudi wrote:    
I use 3-D touch a lot on my phone, but I never knew about this VERY handy tip learned from this webpage...

6. Cursor control

When typing on your iPhone's keyboard, it can be difficult to move the cursor to a specific spot to correct a typo. With 3D Touch, it's painlessly easy. Instead of fussing with the magnifier you can call up by tapping and holding on the text you are typing, just press down anywhere on the onscreen keyboard to gray out the keys and turn the keyboard into a touch pad you can then use to move the cursor easily and accurately to your desired spot.

This tip is REALLY great! :clapping:
Rudi - I just spotted this tip! Looks like a really helpful feature and I will give it a try - just as soon as I make a mistake that I need to correct! LOL
Thanks!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

For iOS devices without 3D Touch, like all iPads and pre version 6 iPhones, the trick is to press on the onscreen keyboard with 2 fingers. The OSK will then turn into a touch pad and you can easily control the cursor position.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX Paul... I didn't know that! I can give this tip to my wife who has adopted my old iPhone 5S.
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I cannot figure out how to use Paul's tip on my iPhone 6 (not 6s, not 6 Pro, not 6S pro).

Can someone please enlighten me?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Bob, as you have an iPhone 6 (with 3D touch) you may want to use the tip that Rudi described. The two fingered tip works on my iPad (without 3D touch). Perhaps my tip will not work on a device with 3D touch. Maybe Rudi can give it a try just to see.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

PaulB wrote:Bob, as you have an iPhone 6 (with 3D touch) you may want to use the tip that Rudi described. The two fingered tip works on my iPad (without 3D touch). Perhaps my tip will not work on a device with 3D touch. Maybe Rudi can give it a try just to see.
Thanks, Paul!

I will give the 2-finger trick a try on an iPad. When I searched for 3D Touch, I found a reference that said it is available on for the 6S series, not the 6. It didn't say why. In any case, I cannot get any kind of 3D touch to work; but maybe that is because I have no idea what to look for.

Thanks again!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Bob, this article and this one may answer your question. It appears that not all apps have touch pad support.
Regards,
Paul

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,

The iPhone 6 does not support 3D Touch.
It does not have the hardware components just below the screen to register the touch pressure.
3D Touch Tech.png
Paul has confirmed the two-finger gesture to control the cursor on the iPad, but this article also confirms that it works on iPhones that have iOS9 installed. So the cursor control will work on your iPhone 6 by using the two-finger method.

BTW: Apologies for the misleading thread title. I see I did not type the "S" into it. I'll fix it on the OP for more clarity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: iPhone 6S 3-D touch tip...

Post by PaulB »

Oops, my bad... I thought the iPhone 6 had 3D touch capability.
Regards,
Paul

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: iPhone 6S 3-D touch tip...

Post by BobH »

Thanks, guys!!

I'll still give it a go on the wife's iPad Air.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)