Protect your Android device against the Stagefright hack

HansV
Administrator

Protect your Android device against the Stagefright hack

Post by HansV »

Recently, a severe security leak in Android has come to light: hackers that know your phone number can send you an MMS with a video that contains malicious code. By default, messaging apps preload videos, so the code would be executed even if you don't open the message.

Google has already issued a patch, but that won't help most users of Android phones and tablets, since Android updates aren't distributed by Google through the Play Store. The phone provider is responsible for passing on updates to end users, and many providers are slow to do that.

In the meantime, here are instructions to disable preloading videos in several messaging apps: Mobile Security: Protect your mobile device from Stagefright – new Android vulnerability.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: Protect your Android device against the Stagefright hack

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Recently, a severe security leak in Android has come to light:...
Thanks Hans,

My eldest son who is very current on security issues (his primary occupation) advised me of Stagefright a couple of days ago. I have a Motorola Moto G phone running Lollipop 5.0.2. I ended up uninstalling Hangouts and turning off auto-retrieve in MMS. The article you linked has many more suggestions. I will certainly check into those additional options... if they exist in 5.0.2.

My carrier, Virgin Mobile (part of Bell Canada) is very slow in providing Android updates. I bought the Moto G last year and it came with Kit-Kat v4.x. Lollipop was available from Google at the time but it took several months before Virgin Mobile provided an update to Lollipop 5.0.2. Albeit that Google has released updates to Lollipop to prevent the security issues, I do not expect Virgin Mobile to issue any updates for several months, if ever. There is no money to be made in supplying updates for older devices. They concentrate on releasing newer devices with the updated O/S.

Thanks again...
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: Protect your Android device against the Stagefright hack

Post by BobArch2 »

Well that was quick and unexpected. Turned on my Moto G this morning and the start up screen flashed that there was an update available to Lollipop which included a fix for The Stagefright hack. Update took 10 minutes which included optimizing 58 apps. All is well with the world. :smile:

Less than two months since the hack was first announced. Virgin Mobile and Bell Canada finally reacted in good time.
Regards,
Bob