Dropbox vs the others

weese237
2StarLounger

Dropbox vs the others

Post by weese237 »

I'd like to start using some kind of free cloud service. The 5 GB from iCloud is way too small to accommodate both the iphone and ipad. I really don't know anything about the others that are available. Dropbox is nice but 2GB is also too small.

What are you folks doing to back up the extra photos etc from the iphones and ipads? Is there a really good option that offers maybe 20 -25GB for free?

Thanks,
Louise
Louise     :smile:

HansV
Administrator

Re: Dropbox vs the others

Post by HansV »

I use Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive; the free version of each comes with 15 GB of storage.

See 19 free cloud storage options for other options. Note that some of the services offering a large free storage space are ad-supported.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

In addition to the link Hans posted, see this link too for a comprehensive comparison of 13 of the top free cloud storage sites.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Thank you. I'll check those out. It all seems a bit confusing to me right now. New technology you know. :laugh: Hopefully they are not hard to use? I've tried Dropbox and that seems simple enough but they want you to jump through hoops to get more space.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

From what I've seen, most of these services are relatively easy to use, and they have many similarities - one works much like the other.
Best wishes,
Hans

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Thanks for letting me know. Will probably download/install a couple and see what they are like. Will see if the "ad" ones get in the way or not.

Hans, curious, why do you have two? Do you like Google more than Microsoft or vise-versa or are they about the same?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

They came with my Gmail account and with my Hotmail account. I also use DropBox, which I actually like best - my storage requirements are modest, so the 2 GB limit doesn't bother me.
Best wishes,
Hans