Lock Desktop Icons?

Cah
3StarLounger

Lock Desktop Icons?

Post by Cah »

Windows 8.1 keeps moving my desktop icons around - anyway to stop it and keep them where I put them? Thanks

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Lock Desktop Icons?

Post by Rudi »

One possible culprit is Auto Arrange.
Make sure Auto Arrange is unchecked and see if that makes a difference.
Right click on a blank area of your desktop and follow the options in the image below...
AA.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Historically Microsoft has never been particularly good with consistent positioning of desktop shortcut icons, and the only way I've found to keep the little critters in the right place is to use a program which saves the location of the icons and can restore them to the original locations if they move. I use the command-line version of DesktopRestore (free) but some people like Fences (paid for)...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks, John. I'll give DesktopRestore a try. I've never had any trouble with Windows 7 but my Windows 8.1 Tablet is another matter. Just opening File Explorer can cause it to rearrange everything, and yes, auto arrange is unchecked. Perhaps I should try unchecking align to grid as well.