Cannot view photos in Photo Gallery

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

When I need to crop or otherwise edit a photo, I often open it in Photo Gallery. However, trying to get the photo open and then editing it requires a roundabout process that does not always work.
1. I right-click on the photo in Windows Explorer and select “Open with … Photo Gallery.”
2. The image opens, but in a window that does not allow editing.
3. I click on Edit, organize or share, which opens up Photo Gallery with a tree view on the left open to the folder in which the photo is located.

However, the folder always displays empty with a message “Search item not found.” I then have to close Photo Gallery and then reopen the photo by following the three steps above. During this second run, the photo normally is displayed in its corresponding folder in Photo Gallery, but then the other photos are not displayed. When they are displayed, they are sorted by categories (e.g., April 2014, October 2012, etc.) which do not accurately correspond to when files were creates or last edited and which I do not want to begin with.

Is there a way to get Photo Gallery to display all of the photos in a particular folder in the same way that Windows Explorer does without needing to go through so many workarounds?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cannot view photos in Photo Gallery

Post by HansV »

What happens if you start Windows Photo Gallery and select the photo from within the application?
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jmt356 wrote:...When I need to crop or otherwise edit a photo...
If Photo Gallery is so irritating why not try an alternative photo viewer / editor, like Faststone?

Ken

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

HansV wrote:What happens if you start Windows Photo Gallery and select the photo from within the application?
- First off, when I try that method, not all of the subfolders initially display, though I found that they do eventually show up.
- Second, I still get these very distracting (and inaccurate) sorters by date, that classify some photos that were just take last month as old as Sept. 2009. I think the most important thing for me to do is find out how to turn off these classifications.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't use Windows Live Photo Gallery myself, so I can't help you with that, but I echo stuck's comment - why not switch to another viewer/editor?
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

When you are in a picture folder, what is selected in the "Arrange by" dropdown?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Actually, I am using Photo Gallery for Windows 8, so there is no Arrange by dropdown. However, in the View tab | Arrange list group, I can choose how to arrange the photos. They were arranged by Date. I just changed this to Name, and now all the photos are displayed (at least in the folder I just tested).

I believe that what was happening is that Photo Gallery was arranged by date and some kind of filter was displayed that resulted in the message "Search item not found"
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Is it possible in Photo Gallery to view photos that are in a folder without displaying photos that are in the folder's subfolders?
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Photo Gallery selects the Main Folder and all sub folders to show the content by default. If you right click the main folder and choose Show without Sub Folders, it will deactivate the sub folders and only display images in the main folder.
Try this:
Note, I am using Win 8.1 and Photo Gallery 2012 (build: 16.4.3508)
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Is it possible to change the default behavior.
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I cannot see any options either on the ribbon or in the Photo Gallery Settings to change this default behaviour. :sorry:
See this web page and see if you can extract any more informative details from it...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.