Get Windows 8.1 for free

jmt356
SilverLounger

Get Windows 8.1 for free

Post by jmt356 »

Is there any way to stop Windows 8 from repeatedly displaying the “Get Windows 8.1 for free” notification?
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Get Windows 8.1 for free

Post by Rudi »

Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Is there any good reason you don't want Windows 8.1?

Joe
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

JoeP wrote:Is there any good reason you don't want Windows 8.1?

Joe
It took me a long time to adjust to Windows 8. I don't want another learning curve. Also, I am concerned that there will be bugs in any new release. I would rather wait a couple of years for Microsoft to fix them.
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

jmt356 wrote:It took me a long time to adjust to Windows 8. I don't want another learning curve. Also, I am concerned that there will be bugs in any new release. I would rather wait a couple of years for Microsoft to fix them.
There is very little surface difference between Win8 and Win8.1. Besides better access to Task manager, Control Panel and other system options, as well as improved interface flexibility, you will not really see/experience a lot of "complex" differences. If you are used to Win8, you will find Win8.1 the same (if not easier) to navigate and use. As for bugs, etc, Win8.1 is less buggy, faster and more responsive that Win8. It is completely your choice, but I'd definitely recommend to upgrade. There is no new learning curve to undergo and you only get benefits from the updated OS.
Regards,
Rudi

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

If you do NOT update to Windows 8.1, then you will not ;longer be getting any updates.
You need to do this bt June 10th.

See http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... _confusion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Come June 10th, if they haven't installed 8.1 Update, no other updates will be visible to them in the Windows Update UI because they will be required to install the Update in order to receive any other updates," he added.

That response would seem to reinforce the idea that Windows 8.1 Update establishes some sort of technology foundation that is necessary for Windows 8.1 users to have in order to install and apply updates.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

I was under the impression that updates for version 8.0 would continue. Upgrading changes the way search works and requires some fiddling with settings to avoid sending search results to Microsoft. We have one machine with Windows 8.0 and have a couple of other licences but have stuck with Windows 7. I don't like the direction Microsoft is going with Windows 8.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Cah wrote:...Upgrading changes the way search works and requires some fiddling with settings to avoid sending search results to Microsoft...
True but the change is trivial to make and can be made during the 8.0 to 8.1 upgrade, you just have to be vigilant and tick/untick the relevant box but even if you don't do it at that point it's not hard to do it after the upgrade. It's not like it requires a reg hack or anything.

Ken

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I just upgraded to Windows 8.1 and am very disappointed. The only differences I have noticed are as follow:
- The start menu icon has been restored to the Taskbar, but this icon takes me back to the same annoying window that takes over my screen;
- Windows rearranged my taskbar shortcuts and put in an unsolicited intruder to the Apps store;
- Msn.com took over my IE homepage;
- Windows has changed my Windows Explorer default folder and there appears to be no way for me to reset it to my original default target. I tried right-clicking on the Windows Explorer icon in my taskbar, right-clicking on "File Explorer" and choosing "Properties," but "Target" is grayed out and I cannot restore the target back to my original shortcut folder.
- Windows has changed my folder lists from List view to Details view and it appears I have to go into each folder individually to change back the default.

I expect I will discover further inconveniences and intrusions as I continue.
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Yes, clicking on the start button takes you to the start screen. You are not forced to use the Start button. However, if you right click an empty area on the Taskbar and select Properties then the Start Screen section on the Navigation tab has several options to make the start screen more useful. Also, see Win+X Menu Editor for Windows 8 for a small, free program to customize the Start button context menu.

You may right click the Store icon and select "Unpin ..." to remove it from the Taskbar. Just drag and drop the Taskbar icons in the order in which you'd like them.

I suspect you did an express setup of IE when you first started it. I don't recall it doing that for the systems I've upgraded but it has been a while.

The standard File Explorer shortcut is one of those "special" shortcuts that get created during software installations. You need to create your own File Explorer shortcut to have it start at a particular folder and pin it to the taskbar.

I don't recall the view settings but I've changed them to whatever I need for particular folders.

Joe
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jmt356 wrote:...it appears I have to go into each folder individually to change back the default...
My experience of Win 8.1 is that Explorer allows you to set the same view for all folders, just like XP, Vista and 7 before it.

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Ken is correct.
The current folder can be used as a template to update all folders of that type (based on what it stores): General, Picture, Document, etc..
Open a relevant folder
Update the view and settings as you desire
Go to Explorer options
Click Apply to Folders
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thank you. What about changing my Windows Explorer default folder? There appears to be no way for me to reset it to my original default target. I tried right-clicking on the Windows Explorer icon in my taskbar, right-clicking on "File Explorer" and choosing "Properties," but "Target" is grayed out and I cannot restore the target back to my original shortcut folder. Is there a way to "ungray" it?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As JoeP mentioned in his reply from yesterday, the default File Explorer shortcut is a special one that cannot be customized. You'll have to create a new shortcut to explorer.exe on your desktop, set its target, and then pin it to the Taskbar.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

See also here for additional suggestions.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jmt356 wrote:...What about changing my Windows Explorer default folder?...
I'd do it like I'd do in XP or 7. I 'd right click on the desktop, and create a new shortcut to explorer.exe
I'd then edit the target by adding the required path, something like:
C:\Windows\explorer.exe /e,"C:\Users\Myname\default"
I'd then pin the shortcut to the taskbar

Ken

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

This would work but you would then have two identical File Explorer shortcuts pinned to the taskbar.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

HansV wrote:As JoeP mentioned in his reply from yesterday, the default File Explorer shortcut is a special one that cannot be customized. You'll have to create a new shortcut to explorer.exe on your desktop, set its target, and then pin it to the Taskbar.
I created a new shortcut to explorer.exe on my desktop and set its target, but I cannot pin it to the Taskbar. I tried dragging it and also looking for a "Pin to Taskbar" option when right-clicking on the shortcut file on my desktop.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Are you sure? It works for me:
S0002.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Not for me:
Regards,

JMT