Remote desktop

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Remote desktop

Post by Leesha »

Hi,

I just bought a new PC which is running windows 8. It is the only computer on my home network in window's 8. I have set it to allow remote desktop, followed all the instructions that I've found on line and still can't get into it remotely. I put in my email address and password that are used on the computer and it seems to be ready to let me in, then I get a message wrong username or password. I tried creating a profile that is in the standard format not using an email address but that doesn't let me in either. What am I missing?

I should also add that when trying to get in via network places, I have the same problem.

Thanks,
Leesha

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: Remote desktop

Post by Jay Freedman »

Here's something to try, but no guarantees it will work.

On the Windows 8 computer, press Windows Key+X, and select Control Panel (or press P) in the menu. When the Control Panel opens, click Administrative Tools. In the next window, click Computer Management.

In the Computer Management window, under System Tools in the left pane, expand Local Users and Groups, and click on Groups. On the right side of the window, click Remote Desktop Users.

In the dialog, the big Members box is probably empty -- that's the default. Click the Add button. In the next dialog, type your logon name in the "Enter the object names" box and click the Check Names button. If it doesn't complain that the name is not found, click the OK button. Now your logon will be a member of the Remote Desktop Users group, and you might ... if nothing else is wrong ... be able to log in remotely. Click OK and close the other windows, and try it out.

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

Hi Jay,
Thanks for your post. I had already added the login info and made sure that it had administrator priv's but still can't get in. I even checked to be sure the firewall settings were correct. I thought it had something to do with the fact that I log in using my email address and tried logging in as Administrator but still no luck.
Leesha

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Leif

Leesha
BronzeLounger

Post by Leesha »

HI Leif,

I had found this and nothing worked. My settings are all according to the FAQ. I can remote from the windows 8 laptop to any of my other computers on my home network but can't get into the laptop from those computers or from my office. Inititally, when I put in my username and password it looks like its going to connect but then comes back stating incorrect username or password. I've tried both with the email login as well as with the user profile that corresponds to the password. I can't even get in using the Administrator password.
Leesha