Partition Manager to Remove GPT partitions under Win8

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Partition Manager to Remove GPT partitions under Win8

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I'll have more to say about Windows8 and today's computers in another thread(s). In the meantime I want my life back. :laugh:

The old 64-bit laptop is dead; I don't have/can't get the 25-character key.
I spent part of my pension :sad: on a real live CD. Two actually, a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of Win7 with SP1. I like having a real CD with a physically-protected key.
I spent part of my pension :sad: on a new laptop, 4GB 500GB and several GHz.
For a variety of reasons I want to install my new Win7SP1 on the new laptop.
I believe they are compatible.
But the Win7SP1 won't install because the C: partition is GPT.

I early on split the C: partition into a 226GB C drive (for Windows and programs) and a 224GB data drive.

I seek recommendations for a 64-bit partition manager from which I can create a bootable CD/DVD, from which I can reduce the (apparently) ten partitions to a single humungous 500+GB partition, then split off about 150 for C: and 350GB for data.

I previously made a bootable 3-DVD recovery set, using the Win8 prompting, and have successfully rebuilt the Win8 system from that; so I am back at the "factory" installation as of last night.
GPT02.png
This is what my Win8 computer looks like right now, more partitions than I want. I don't need those recovery partitions because I have no intention of returning to Win8 once I get Win7 installed.
GPT.png
This is what C: looks like when I right-click and choose Properties from File Manager/Windows Explorer/File Explorer.
Thanks in advance (but more thanks coming ...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Partition Manager to Remove GPT partitions under Win8

Post by viking33 »

Though I haven't used it, there is a method (s) to convert GBT disks to MBR, which Win 7 wants.
Seems pretty straight forward to use. After you convert the disk,then you can partition it the way you want.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26 ... -disk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:After you convert the disk,then you can partition it the way you want.http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26 ... -disk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for this, Bob. I'm at a public terminal at the moment, so I'll memorize everything offered in the link :laugh: and give the old Disk Management trick a try.
If that seems risky (as I try it) I'll grab my NetBook and grab the page and try again.
I'm curious (and I know that you may not know the answer); it's one thing to convert GPT partitions to MBR, but
(1) Can I do all of this while Win8, loaded from the GPT partition C:, is Running?
(2) Will I be able to merge all partitions into one partition, and then split that out?
I will find out, I guess.
Still and all I would be happier with a bootable partition manager, then I can sit back and FIX the hard drive in a relaxed state of mind.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Did you check to see if there are Windows 7 drivers for the machine? Getting drivers for notebooks can be tricky sometimes.

Joe
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:Did you check to see if there are Windows 7 drivers for the machine? Getting drivers for notebooks can be tricky sometimes.
Joe, thanks for this tip.
It will make sense for me to search and d/l drivers on the Win8 mc BEFORE loading Win7. Yay! for memory keys.

My fall back is the little cardboard-and-string netbook, but I'd rather spend time getting used to this keyboard!