Cannot find the results of Scan Disk

jmt356
SilverLounger

Cannot find the results of Scan Disk

Post by jmt356 »

After I ran Scan Disk, I followed these steps:
1) Type “event viewer” in the Start menu.
2) In the left pane, double click on Windows Logs and then below it, click on Application and look for “Wininit” in the Source column of the middle pane.

However, I could not find any instances of Wininit in the Source column.

Wehre are my Scan Disk logs?
Regards,

JMT

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Cannot find the results of Scan Disk

Post by Argus »

Have you searched or filtered for "chkdsk" as Source?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Have a look at CHKDSK - Check a Drive for Errors in Windows 8 and see if it gives any clues.

(I think you mean Chkdsk rather than Scan Disk...)
Leif

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

It did show up with Chkdsk as source. Is this a change in Windows 8? I always searched with Wininit as source.
Regards,

JMT

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

How did you run the disk check, and which disk?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Argus wrote:How did you run the disk check, and which disk?
You would think that MS would configure it so that the results are at least a little easier to find and not buried away in an obscure corner? Why could it not be saved to a text file in the users choice of location?
Of course, to some code writers, what could be more logical than it's present place? :evilgrin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hi Bob,
Yes; I haven't looked that much at MS' support pages, but, for example, there is no mention of the Event log in connection with Chkdsk in the Windows XP help files, as far as I can see. It's there, but they won't tell you. :sigh:

(There are some almost hilarious stories with people taking pictures of the screen as the result scrolls on the screen ...) Microsoft has decided that that part, during start, isn't important, so in Windows 8 there no such thing, only the percentage (but the disk check is improved).

It is still possible to redirect the output to a text file using, say: CHKDSK D: > result.txt. Not the cleanest log, though.

However that doesn't help if it's the boot volume, system drive, or something else being used, since it's scanned during start-up. I think it put a text file at the root in the old days or perhaps that was only when the disk check was unsuccessful, interrupted. I guess that the event log is easier if checking several drives etc. But I agree that it can be cluttered with things (I've got one gazillion Office alerts.). Some even suggest using Windows PowerShell to read the log ... then it gets really awful and über geeky in my mind.

I have another reply ready for the OP, but I'm waiting for some feedback. :smile: