Microsoft Account

Cah
3StarLounger

Microsoft Account

Post by Cah »

When I set up my account Microsoft asked me to sign up for a Microsoft Account and I did so. However the actual account I have still appears to be a local account. Now, I'm wondering if it is possible to sign in and out of the app store using my local account. Or is it a question of converting the account on the PC from one type to another? I'm finding this whole account business rather confusing in Windows 8. What I want to do is go to the app store, update some apps, maybe download one or two more and then sign out of the store and my Microsoft account so I'm not using it when I browse. Is this possible?

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Microsoft Account

Post by JoeP »

I think you have to use a Microsoft account to access the store.

Try this. On the start screen enable the charms (Win+C), select Settings, then PC settings, then Users. Switch to your Micrsoft account. Do what you want in the store. reverse the process to switch back to a local account.

Why do you not want to use the Microsoft account when browsing?

Joe
Joe

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks, Joe, that's what I'm wondering about how easy it is to switch back and forth. May I reverse your question and ask why would I want or need to browse using a Microsoft account. I've never had one before. I have privacy concerns.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I use it all the time and don't worry about it any more than a local account. If my system is compromised it won't make any difference what type of account I'm running under. NOTE: a limited user account will help with certain types of malware.

If you happen to use other Windows 8 PCs you can login with your Microsoft account and get many of your personalization settings and easy access to files which you have stored in SkyDrive.

IMO, anyone who is online using any of Microsoft, Google, Apple, etc. services has already given up privacy. You are already being tracked by where you visit, what you purchase, what you view, what personal information you've given, etc. I don't think that a Microsoft account makes you any more or less vulnerable than you already are.

Joe
Joe

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Joe, I don't use Google or Apple services. I'm curious about some apps for Windows 8 but don't want other services. I don't want my machine synced since I use them for different purposes. I don't like using cloud services. From your description I'm better off without a Microsoft account while online. Thanks.