I cannot move my tiles?

Rudi
gamma jay

I cannot move my tiles?

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

Ever since I installed Windows 8 (on my work PC). I have never been able to move the tiles on my start screen. I cannot rearrange them or customise them by right-clicking for the editing options? Everything is just "locked"? Has anyone else come across this scenario and resolved it? I have my suspicions that it is group policy settings, but I have never been able to get this confirmed..even with IT. (Is there a way of checking this?)

TX
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: I cannot move my tiles?

Post by HansV »

Not many Windows 8 users here yet, I fear...
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I've been using Win 8 exclusively since January. I like it, and will not be returning to Win 7. That being said, I think that MS has made a few horrible mistakes with Win 8 and some pretty bad design errors. Their one-size-fits-all approach (PC, tablet, phone) is ill conceived. Even Apple keeps their iOS separate from their OS/X.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:Not many Windows 8 users here yet, I fear...
Thats OK :)
The balls gotta start rolling sometime...even if it starts at a snails pace.
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

PaulB wrote:I've been using Win 8 exclusively since January. I like it, and will not be returning to Win 7. That being said, I think that MS has made a few horrible mistakes with Win 8 and some pretty bad design errors. Their one-size-fits-all approach (PC, tablet, phone) is ill conceived. Even Apple keeps their iOS separate from their OS/X.
Hey Paul,
I do agree with your sentiments, and as with hundreds more, we will all have our likes and dislikes with any new software. I too have got used to the changes that Win8 presents but I also have some dislikes with changes MS has made...actually more so in Office 2013 that in Win8. I am a guy that ebbs more to viewing the glass as half full...so I tend to allow the great changes to overshadow the opinions and flaws.
Regards,
Rudi

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

It does seem like a policy setting. You can check the Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows and Windows Server.

Joe
Joe

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I have read somewhere that there is file keeping track of the start screen tiles; appsFolder.itemdata-ms.
It's stored in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows.(I've no clue why it's not roaming.)

Move a tile, and that file is updated; I just checked.

But preventing rearrangement; my guess would have been some group policy, but there seem to be no such in Windows 8, or?

I have not looked closer at this; but there seems to be a change in the coming 8.1 (I have had a quick look at their "Preview" as well).

How convenient that the help/explanation is in English. :grin:
2013-07-01_A.png
Also see this page:
http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2013/06/cust ... up-policy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But that doesn't explain what you see, since you are running 8.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Thanks for the links guys. I dunno how much changes I'll be able to do with these, but it does help to confirm suspicions re the locked tiles.
Cheers
Regards,
Rudi