Automatic update's automatic restart

jmt356
SilverLounger

Automatic update's automatic restart

Post by jmt356 »

How can I stop Windows 8 automatic update from automatically restarting my computer and causing my unsaved data from being lost?
Regards,

JMT

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Re: Automatic update's automatic restart

Post by Rebel »

Have you tried a quick Google search using the words (from your question) "stop Windows 8 automatic update from automatically restarting" ?
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See Windows Update and Automatic Reboots for an explanation of the process in Windows 8. There is a delay and you do have the opportunity to restart the system before that.

See Stop or Prevent Windows 8 from restarting after Windows Updates for steps to prevent the restart.

Joe
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

JoeP wrote:See Windows Update and Automatic Reboots for an explanation of the process in Windows 8. There is a delay and you do have the opportunity to restart the system before that.

See Stop or Prevent Windows 8 from restarting after Windows Updates for steps to prevent the restart.

Joe
I believe the first web site you cite Windows Update and Automatic Reboots is inaccurate. It states " if you decided that Windows Update should Install updates automatically, an automatic system reboot may be a part of the process. Choosing any other option will disable automatic reboots."

I disabled automatic updates and require Windows to inform me before it downloads any updates. Last week, I permitted Windows to download certain updates. Thereafter, it proceeded to restart my computer without warning, closing each application one-by-one.

I will be monitoring this carefully.
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I have never seen WU re-boot a system without warning when set not to.

Joe
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I got a pop-up again last Sunday telling me that Windows would restart in 15 minutes. After the restart, I noted the following:
- My Word shortcuts, including ctrl + S (save), ctrl + A (select all), ctrl + v (paste), etc., were gone. I had to reprogram them all;
- Adobe Acrobat was no longer opening. I had to uninstall and reinstall it to get it to work again.

I went into Control Panel | All Control Panel Items | Windows Update | Change settings and found that Install updates automatically was indeed selected. I was surprised by this because I thought I had turned off automatic updates.

In any case, I just selected "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them" and confirmed that it was indeed selected. So hopefully this should be the last episode of this issue.
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Maybe not, there are some updates that are required and are pushed.

Do you lose the shortcuts and Adobe every time you restart your machine or just when updates have been done?

What versions of Adobe Acrobat and Office are you running?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I don't lose the shortcuts whenever I restart. I think I only lost the Word shortcuts about two times when Word crashed and maybe once or twice after updates were installed.

I have Office 2003 / Adobe Acrobat X Pro.
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have Office 2003 / Adobe Acrobat X Pro
MS has stated that Office 2003 is NOT fully compatible with Windows 8. Therefore, the losing of the shortcuts and the fact that Word is crashing, my be a by product of the combination of the usage of Office 2003 on a Windows 8 system.

As for Adobe Acrobat X, check out http://forums.adobe.com/message/4984682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; including the "Fix".
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living