Facebook "Page" Suggestions

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Facebook "Page" Suggestions

Post by Bigaldoc »

In this old thread, Stuck helped me get rid of spurious "friend" recommendations for people I don't even know. ( Facebook "Friend" Suggestions )

His suggestion involved using AdBlock Plus Element Hiding addon and it has been working wonderfully ever since. It has taken over 1,600 hits on that topic and left me in peace.

Now, Facebook has started another annoyance. Every day, FB is putting "Page Like" suggestions in the midst of my News Feed entries. Wouldn't be so bad if they were pages I might have an interest in seeing. But they're completely irrelevant to any of my interests. See attachments.

AdBlock Plus Element Hiding addon has already blocked several TODAY after I created a rule first thing this morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Facebook "Page" Suggestions

Post by stuck »

I thought that my minimalist FB use would keep me immune to this but no, today I find a targeted 'like page' suggestion in the news feed.

Nailed it with my third attempt the Adblock Plus element Hiding Helper. First time didn't get enough and the page logo was still showing. Second time I selected too much and hid every item in the news feed (oops!).

I'll be curious to see if the filter I've set prevents similar suggestions appearing. Al, what was the filter you ended up with? Mine says:
facebook.com##._4-x4._6_q

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

facebook.com##._62v._62t

I haven't been seeing any more of 'em but in looking at the filter, it's "only" blocked 14 hits in about 4 days.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

stuck wrote:I thought that my minimalist FB use would keep me immune to this but no, today I find a targeted 'like page' suggestion in the news feed. <snip>
Ken, I think Facebook must've quit that page suggestion thing 'cause my filter stopped getting hits on March 1, at the 14 figure I mentioned earlier.

I turned the filter off a couple of days ago and no nags. They may have done it in anticipation of the "new" News Feed, coming soon to a computer near you (and me!).

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Bigaldoc wrote:
stuck wrote:...in anticipation of the "new" News Feed, coming soon to a computer near you (and me!).
I can't wait...