Facebook "Governance"

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Facebook "Governance"

Post by Bigaldoc »

Facebook users recently got an email about "proposed" changes to Facebook's governing documents. The email leads to this page of reading:
At the bottom of that page are more links leading to the documents in question, including "redline" (modified) versions of the documents.

Somehow that has started a round of posts, now going viral, that we should all post a copyright notice on our Timeline. I am NOT an attorney and I get a headache and get sleepy halfway through such reading material, but I try...

I did come up with these two links that maintain that such a post by each user is futile:
I offer the above for your reading BECAUSE I'm not an attorney and opinions from me would be useless.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Facebook "Governance"

Post by stuck »

If I read the links Al gives correctly then I own the copyright to anything ORIGINAL that I post on FB but I'll have signed away some of my rights when I joined FB, e.g. so FB can try and make money out of it. If I don't like that I shouldn't have created an account at FB. This latest Governance update means I have time to reflect on the upcoming changes and if I don't agree to them I can delete my account and walk away before the new T&Cs kick in.

Regardless of these new changes if I reproduce someone else's material then no amount of weasel words at the top of my time line is going to protect me because I'm in blatant breach of the copyright of the creator / syndicator of the material I just ripped off and posted.

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Facebook "Governance"

Post by Bigaldoc »

It's in the major news channels here now.

How Facebook policy changes affect you