Zoom - look before you leap. Newbies topic.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Zoom - look before you leap. Newbies topic.

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Forum?
If you, like me, have just installed the Zoom application from https://zoom.us/, because you have bought a [free] ticket to a Zoom meeting next Thursday, and would like to make sure that you can attend a meeting (obviously set up by someone else, who by definition knows more about Zoom than do you), then this is the topic in which to bleat for help.

By the time that you, as a novice, read this post, the topic will be populated by a few generous souls who have elected to monitor the topic and respond to your Bleat For Help "Have I set this up correctly?" and "How do I know it will work flawlessly next Thursday?"

In the meantime you could always read past topics regarding Zoom.

Bleat For help: "Have I set this up correctly?" and "How do I know it will work flawlessly next Thursday?"
(Hint: This is your chance to leap in and either set up a simple Zoom Meeting that I can Join, or point me to an always-open public meeting)
Untitled2.png
I have managed to arrive at this screen unaided.
As well I have read these three topics.

My Time Zone: (GMT-3:30) Newfoundland and Labrador
Win10.
Thanks, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Zoom - look before you leap. Newbies topic.

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 18:05
... and respond to your Bleat For Help "Have I set this up correctly?" and "How do I know it will work flawlessly next Thursday?"
zoom.png
Chris, you may want to take a look at https://learning.zoom.us/pages/55/home for a simple dry-run while you wait for a "real" zoom with someone you know.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Any Zoom meetings I've been involved with have been very simple. The organiser of the meeting has sent me an email that contains a link. At the time the meeting was due to started, I clicked on the link and Firefox asked me how to handle it, I told it use the Zoom client (that I'd previously installed) and that was it, I was in the meeting. Alternatively, the organiser told me the meeting ID, which I entered into the meeting ID box in your screen shot again at the designated time the meeting was due to start and that was it.

If I remember correctly once you've told FF to use the Zoom client then, providing you chose the 'always do this for Zoom links', the next time you get a link all you do is click on it and It Just Works<sup>TM</sup>. Hence I could easily video call my 89 year old mother becaus eall she had to do was click on a link at an agreed time. Rather than me first calling her on the phone, and trying to get her to open Skype and then answer my incoming Skype call.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 18:29
...while you wait for a "real" zoom with someone you know.
Well, I seem to have set up a meeting for Sunday at noon my time. Duration 30 minutes.
Untitled2.png
I thought I would receive a generated html link, in which case I would have pasted it here, but I suspect that if you ask to join the meeting "487 708 4870", then Zoom will take you there.
We shall see what we shall see, as Lucia used to say.
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 18:32
Any Zoom meetings I've been involved with have been very simple. ... the next time you get a link all you do is click on it and It Just Works<sup>TM</sup>.
Thanks Ken. I had always supposed that things like Zoom had to be wonderfully simple and fool-proof for the technophobic CEOs who have their secretaries do all their email.
That said I am the 1 in a 1,000 user who seems to screw things up, so I figured to check stuff out before this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity passes. ("Well, how much petrol should I have put in the tank, then?")

"Thank you for registering to join us ONLINE. We will be sending you a Zoom link closer to the event day and time. "

I have not yet received an email from Thursday's fest, but that will likely come sometime during Thursday morning. I suppose, too, that Zoom will send me, as organizer, an email link to remind me to be at my hosting computer before my meeting is scheduled to start.

Your mother must be very proud of her wonderful son!
And grandson!
Cheers, Chris