Americans? What is a cup?

DollyP
Lounger

Americans? What is a cup?

Post by DollyP »

Hi

I get my Ranch sauce from an importer and in an adventurous mood I bought a packet of Aunt Jemima pancake mix to see if I could replicate the pancakes we had when we were in Florida a while back. Problem is that the recipe on the packet is in so many cups each of mix and water

So can any kindly American tell me if there is a recognised measurement in UK or metric that I should use for a cup of dry mix and a cup of liquid?

Many thanks
David

Timelord
4StarLounger

Re: Americans? What is a cup?

Post by Timelord »

This site should help: http://www.fabflour.co.uk/content/1/45/ ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who will you Inspire today?

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

and for dry I found this:
Amount: 1 quart dry US (qt dry)
Equals: 3.87 575 588 768 cups U.K. (cup)
Who will you Inspire today?

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

1 cup = 8 oz = 250 ml, all, of course, roughly. But as we're talking pancakes, it really doesn't matter, does it? Just use equal measures of dry and liquid.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

The juxtaposition of the mention of Ranch sauce and Aunt Jemima pancakes set me back a bit. I can't imagine any kind of Ranch sauce that I know about on pancakes.

But you got good information on the measure.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

DollyP
Lounger

Post by DollyP »

BobH wrote:The juxtaposition of the mention of Ranch sauce and Aunt Jemima pancakes set me back a bit. I can't imagine any kind of Ranch sauce that I know about on pancakes.
Uhg! Neither can I.

Thanks, guys, for the help. Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow.

David

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Tip for the pancakes ...

Use about twice the amount of butter normally used to grease the frying pan. Once you've coated the pan pour the rest of the melted butter into the prepared mix. Guaranteed not to stick, and gives it a nice texture and taste. Use salted butter if you've got it.

DollyP
Lounger

Post by DollyP »

Bowlie wrote:Use about twice the amount of butter normally used to grease the frying pan. Once you've coated the pan pour the rest of the melted butter into the prepared mix. Guaranteed not to stick, and gives it a nice texture and taste. Use salted butter if you've got it.
Good tip, actually much what I do when cooking English pancakes

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

DollyP wrote:... English pancakes
Is there a difference between English pancakes and American ones?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

PaulB wrote:
The English ones are made in England, the American ones in America. Not to be confused with Canadian pancakes. :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DollyP
Lounger

Post by DollyP »

PaulB wrote:
I'm judging the difference based on visits to an IHOP on a trip to Florida a few years back. English pancakes are large and very flat, similar if not identical to French crepes. My family eat them with sugar and lemon juice or golden syrup; never with savoury although I imagine plenty of British do. The IHOP ones were thicker and fluffier in texture, smaller in size and served with both savoury and sweet toppings.

I guess the fundamental recipes of all pancakes and crepes are much the same - a batter of flour, egg and milk.

David

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

viking33 wrote:
PaulB wrote:
The English ones are made in England, the American ones in America. Not to be confused with Canadian pancakes. :grin:
:grin:
Yep.
Adding value to the Cooking forum again, Bob? :grin:
It comes as no surprise that the ones made over here are closer to the English than the North American variant, at least the ones I've tasted over there. Ah, distance do play a role here; I'll give that quintessence of knowledge to the Cooking forum. :laugh:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

viking33 wrote:
PaulB wrote:
Them thar's fighting words, friend. Do you want us to cut off the export of Quebec maple syrup? Then you'll be stuck with that inferior Vermont stuff. :evilgrin:
Regards,
Paul

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Please continue to ship the Canadian bacon. I rarely use maple syrup of any kind but would be lost without my Canadian bacon.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Happy to oblige, Bob!
Regards,
Paul