render down chicken fat

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

render down chicken fat

Post by ChrisGreaves »

There are many pages on the web that describe the process.
I tried this about 6 months ago, but did not preserve the URL of the page I used.
Nonetheless a simple process works.

My doctor says I am to cut down on my fat intake and strip the skin and fat from chicken and other poultry.
So I do.
  • What is it good for?
To my great surprise the rendered chicken fat is near-tasteless.
I thought it would taste like chicken, but I suspect it is "pure fat" that has distilled out, rather like distilling "pure alcohol" from a variety of different products of fermentation.
I have found this solidified fat ideal for greasing baking tins for cakes and cookies; I can't taste the residue, and it is a more effective greasing agent than butter or margarine or cooking oil.

Picture essay from today's efforts can be found at http://www.chrisgreaves.com/Cooking/ChickenFat
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Re: render down chicken fat

Post by Doc Watson »

So, you've been making Schmaltz.

But I wonder, how does reusing the rendered fat remove said fat from one's diet ??
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Doc Watson wrote:... how does reusing the rendered fat remove said fat from one's diet ??
Hi Doc, and you're starting to sound like my doctor!

Rendering removes the fat in the sense that having trimmed off the skin+fat I am not consuming that in a regular meal. Grilled chicken thigh is now grilled chicken thigh without-the-fat.

It postpones it in the sense that when I smear a film of solidified fat on the baking tray, a small amount gets consumed by me, but at nowhere near the rate obtained by ingesting it at one meal.

I believe that my body can cope with trace amounts, or at least, can cope better than it can when I take in the skin+fat at a single meal.

Does that make sense to you?

P.S. If the real Doctor is reading this, I made all this up, OK? I am not really rendering down the fat and eating home-made chewy oatmeal bars with sugar, oil & molasses. It's just something to talk about in the Cooking Forum ...

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:... how does reusing the rendered fat remove said fat from one's diet ??
Hi Doc, and you're starting to sound like my doctor!

Rendering removes the fat in the sense that having trimmed off the skin+fat I am not consuming that in a regular meal. Grilled chicken thigh is now grilled chicken thigh without-the-fat.

It postpones it in the sense that when I smear a film of solidified fat on the baking tray, a small amount gets consumed by me, but at nowhere near the rate obtained by ingesting it at one meal.

I believe that my body can cope with trace amounts, or at least, can cope better than it can when I take in the skin+fat at a single meal.

Does that make sense to you?

P.S. If the real Doctor is reading this, I made all this up, OK? I am not really rendering down the fat and eating home-made chewy oatmeal bars with sugar, oil & molasses. It's just something to talk about in the Cooking Forum ...
Makes sense... in a pretzel logic sort of way. :grin:

But I would think your "doctor" would be much happier with you eating oatmeal bars than chicken fat. At least the oatmeal bars have a heart healthy component as their base. Chicken fat is chicken fat, no matter what you do with it before you consume it. :scratch:
You may be dyslexic.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

[quote="Doc Watson"Chicken fat is chicken fat, no matter what you do with it before you consume it. :scratch:[/quote]True, but instead of eating it in one sitting I'm eating it over a period of weeks.
Anyway; it's the best baking-tray-greasing agent I've found yet.
And most amazing to me - it doesn't add a taste of chicken!

ilovechicken
NewLounger

Post by ilovechicken »

You are certainly correct on that point. The rendered fat is still chicken fat or chicken cholesterol. The main point is that you did not consume the whole amount of cholesterol in one sitting and that my friend is the best answer there. In fact, the smaller amount of fats that you consume from the rendered chicken fat is actually insignificant because you can just burn that up even when you do some little exercises.

It's pretty basic logic. Good work there Chris!

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Makes sense from a chicken lover's perspective too. Consuming less chicken fat = fewer chickens consumed = fewer chickens killed. :innocent:
You may be dyslexic.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ilovechicken wrote:It's pretty basic logic. Good work there Chris!
Trouble is, I strip so much skin off chicken that I need to bake cookies five times a day just to use up the rendered fat (grin!)

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Trouble is, I strip so much skin off chicken that I need to bake cookies five times a day just to use up the rendered fat (grin!)
That's funny.

Not sure if you have KFC where you live but I'm guessing they are out of the question for you.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Where Chris lives they have OFC's, and they do free deliveries in UFO's.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

LOL OK I'll bite, what is an OFC? I guess I can figure out the FC but the O has me confused.

Edited to add: Forget it. I just looked and am guessing you meant Ontario. The Colonel would be disappointed. Or is it a Monty up there?
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Yep...that is correct - Ontario Fried Chicken
I forgot to mention that they grow their famous chicken and mushrooms together in the same soil.
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:Yep...that is correct - Ontario Fried Chicken
I forgot to mention that they grow their famous chicken and mushrooms together in the same soil.
Hey I heard somewhere how mushrooms are grown. Don't they keep them in the dark and feed them BS?
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

:laugh: Absolutely...! It makes you wonder how the hell they can taste like heaven!
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote::laugh: Absolutely...! It makes you wonder how the hell they can taste like heaven!
Yeah and I have another one that I love. It is Limburger cheese. Maybe you can help me because I lost the recipe. I can't remember if it is two buckets of milk to the outhouse or two buckets of crap to the milk house. (Boy I really had to clean that one up. LOL)
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

hlewton wrote:
Hey I heard somewhere how mushrooms are grown. Don't they keep them in the dark and feed them BS?

Yes, but there is also a bit CS and HS thrown and sometimes even PS. Each one will add a different flavor.

Chicken
Horse
Pig
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:
hlewton wrote:

Yes, but there is also a bit CS and HS thrown and sometimes even PS. Each one will add a different flavor.

Chicken
Horse
Pig
:rofl: I believe you.
Regards,
hlewton

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:... am guessing you meant Ontario.
Speaking of Ontario ...

Toronto is home to the world’s most confused citizens.

When they are overseas most Torontonians say “Oh, we live in Toronto, Canada”, and hospitable foreigners nod their heads and repeat “Ah! Canada!! Toronto!!!”. The kinder kind of foreigners do not go on to confirm their recognition by saying “Ford”.
Home_HPIM9014.JPG
Earlier this week a special section in the Toronto Star tried to clear the muddy autumn waters with the map, reproduced above.
Home_HPIM9014a.jpg
When I landed here in 1982, the city was an accumulation of five municipalities, one of which was known as “the city of Toronto” (the bit near the lake, immediately above) as distinct from “The City of Etobicoke”, “The City of Scarborough” and so on. To make matters worse to a great many people it was “The City of Scarboro”, but I digress.
Home_HPIM9014b.jpg
About fifteen years later the five municipalities, known as cities, were amalgamated into one city to be known henceforth as “Metropolitan Toronto” (the bit near the lake, immediately above). Five cities, one of which used to be known as “The City of Toronto” became “The City of Toronto”. Then known locally as “Metro”, which is now the name of the supermarket chain that used be called “Dominion”.
“Metropolitan Toronto” is now labeled “The City of Toronto” in the map shown above.
“The Toronto Region” surrounds and includes “The City of Toronto”.
“The Greater Toronto Region” also surrounds and includes “The City of Toronto”.
However, if you live in Burlington you live in “The Greater Toronto Region” but not in “The Toronto Region”, whereas if you live in Mono, you are in “The Toronto Region” but not in “The Greater Toronto Region”.

Regardless of whether you live in “The City of Toronto”, “The Toronto Region” or “The Greater Toronto Region”, in order to get to those foreign lands you fly out of Toronto’s airport, which used to be called Toronto International Airport but is now known as Lester Pearson Airport.

Seventy-five percent of the residents of The City of Toronto, The Toronto Region or The Greater Toronto Region cannot tell you who Lester Pearson is, or was.

The airport’s international code is “YYZ”.

Got that?

There will be a quiz first thing Monday morning ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Probably can't pass the quiz but I have been to Toronto twice. Once on a two night stay at Delta Chelsea (now Eaton Chelsea, I guess) and saw the Phantom of the Opera, loved it. Once on a bus bus trip to see the Toronto Blue Jays play and lose to my Cleveland Indians. Loved that too. :fanfare:
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I'm just guessing, mind you but here is my guess.

Lester B. Pearson, in full Lester Bowles Pearson (born April 23, 1897, Toronto, Ont., Can.—died Dec. 27, 1972, Ottawa), politician, diplomat, and prime minister of Canada (1963–68), who was prominent as a mediator in international disputes. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace in 1957.

How's that for a guess? :scratch:
Regards,
hlewton