Lazy man's ice-cream

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Lazy man's ice-cream

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Operating on the principle that "ice cream" is a corruption of "iced cream", and after a cursory (ref Jezza) scan of the web I am of the conclusion that I can make a passable palatable concoction by using a spare carton of 10% cream, an egg, some vanilla and perhaps some jelly crystals (for gelatin) and popping the lot in my blender at some speed for some minutes, the speed and time to be determined by experiment.

Hence the purpose of this post:
  • Why bother with containers of ice-and-rock salt if I can pre-chill my ingredients (and containers) in an electric freezer compartment?
  • Why bother with shaking/churning when Niagara Falls, just down the road, supplies practically unlimited energy to my blender?
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Lazy man's ice-cream

Post by HansV »

Why bother with making your own ice cream if you can buy it cheaply at any number of places?

The problem is not so much mixing the ingredients - that's relatively easy. The hard part is to keep the mixture mixed while it is freezing - if you just dump it into the freezer, the water tends to form growing ice crystals; these prevent the ice cream from forming the smooth creamy texture that we love.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Why bother with making your own ice cream if you can buy it cheaply at any number of places?
Because I like preparing my own food - not forever, but just to know I can do it. Also to make customized flavous
The hard part is to keep the mixture mixed while it is freezing
I recall my Dad making it via a kerosene refrigerator, and taking it out at just-the-right-time to re-mix it; I daresay this was to give it a final stir immediately before it froze for good

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

All together now: "Freeze a jolly good fellow!"
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:All together now: "Freeze a jolly good fellow!"
I could see that coming.
I could scream
I scream.

I wasn't all that fond of my dad, but I confess a degree of admiration for someone who could make passably good ice-cream from Sunshine Powdered Milk and a kerosene 'fridge in the mid 50s when the shade temperature was in the mid 30s.

Powdered Milk in the mid 50s wasn't the product it is now, either.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

http://www.heptune.com/lyrics/iscreamy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also here is a link to Snow Ice Cream
http://chemistry.about.com/od/snowsnowf ... ecream.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just watrch out for that yellow snow.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living